1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can not access other PC after ICS enabled

Discussion in 'Networking' started by JJulian79, Apr 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JJulian79

JJulian79 Thread Starter

OK. I have a laptop running 2000 SP4. Im trying to set it up as a wireless ISP gateway for my home network. I have tryed a cross-over cable to my desk top as well as a wireless router. Both ways I can access the loptop with my XP SP2 desktop fine, untill I enable ICS on the laptop. when ICS is enabled the desktop wont see the laptop or tells me I dont have permission to access the workgroup. I have been back and forth with this and cant figure it out. I can access it fine with ICS disabled. any ideas?

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a wireless router, why are you trying to put the laptop in the middle? Maybe you should explain exactly how you are trying to configure this and what problem you think you're solving.

3. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

Usual reason for what you describe is ip addressing. ICS wants to use 192.168.0.x
    Odds are that is also the range being used presently for your pcs. You can change the pc subnet to 192.168.1.x or just enable bridging instead of ICS.

As JohnWill points out it should be an interesting story to hear why you just aren't using your wireless router to supply all your networking needs.

4. JJulian79

JJulian79 Thread Starter

hehe Well, that is where the fun begains! Im trying to use the laptop as the access point because the only antinna I have to pick up the hotspot is a cantinna for my PCMCIA card. I have ordered an outdoor AP, but I was trying to get something going in the mean time.

I have not been able to find anything about bridging with Windows 2000. hench the reason I was trying to ICS. The router uses IP 192.168.1.1, the ICS sets the LAN as 192.168.0.8 and the WiFi is set by the ISP as 10.0.2.5, the desktop is set by DCHP to 192.168.1.101

Although I have been working on computers for over 15 years, I must say that I am a noob at networking! However, what it is acting like is the Windows 2000 machine will only allow 1 network connection active at a time when ICS is enabled. IE, It shuts off the LAN and keeps the WiFi. If I reverse the ICS and try to share the LAN with the WiFi connection, I loose connection to the internet.

So here is the setup I have going.

Laptop with a WiFi card and external cantinna to access the wireless ISP, running Windows 2000. LAN from Laptop to a Linksys wireless router on port 2. Desktop running XP Home SP2 run with a LAN to port 1 on said router. DHCP set to on on all 3, IP set to Obtain Automatically. With ICS OFF Laptop and desktop talk to each other fine, can see shared folders and printer. With ICS turned on, (No other changes made) neather PC see's the other, or gives an error that you dont have permission to access the workgroup.

I could try to get the router to access the ISP if I stick it outside, but im not sure how that works with a router, or how to tell if I have a connection or signal strength.

5. JohnWill

What's the make/model of the router? If it's one that's compatible with DD-WRT 3rd party software, you might be able to turn that router into a wireless bridge to capture the signal and then you can distribute that.

6. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

I think you are right, bridging wasn't supported in 2000
    Not sure what a AP will do for you. Your wifi isp isn't going to send its signal there.

You say hotspot and then ISP. Which is it?

hotspot<>wifi card-laptop-lan card<> wireless router<>pc 1 and 2
    10.0.2.5<laptop>192.168.0.8 w/ics <192.168.1.1><192.168.1.101

turn dhcp off on the wireless router. Assign it 192.168.0.254. Static ip to pc of 192.168.0.253

What I believe is happening is your laptop lan is set to dhcp and gets a ip from the wireless router. When you engage ICS it changes that subnet to 192.168.0.x but the pcs are at x.x.1.x which is why you can't talk to them. They need to be in the x.x.0.x subnet with ICS

7. JohnWill

Well, he did say hotspot, so I assume that a wireless bridge can solve the issue. :)

8. Wanderer2

Wanderer2

That's just it. Hotspot indicates something like a internet cafe. ISP indicates something like Clearwire which only goes to the pcmcia wireless card. You won't be able to bridge Clearwire with a AP/Wireless bridge.

Now if a hotspot doesn't this forum frown on that?

9. JJulian79

JJulian79 Thread Starter

Its a Wireless ISP that also does hotspots for truck stops and ect. The AP I refer to is the AVCW-100. It is a antinna and NIC built into an outdoor box that runs CAT5 to your LAN. I can connect with other wireless devices, so it should work to get it to my desktop. I will try the manuel config you suggested and let you know what happens.

10. JJulian79

JJulian79 Thread Starter

OK boys! We are on the right track now! I set up the network as stated above, I can now access both the laptop from the PC and PC from the laptop. However, the PC does not see the internet. Do I need to set up IE for proxy or autodetect? Do I need to enter the info from the WiFi connection on the PC for the DNS and such??

11. JJulian79

JJulian79 Thread Starter

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!

Had to set the desktop to obtain IP atuomaticaly and everything works fine!

Thanks alot for all the help! I wouldnt of got it with out in manuel config info you gave me.

(y):D

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You disabled the router's Dhcp server and have ICS enabled on the laptop? If so, a possible problem is a firewall on the laptop not allowing other computers internet access. Also, let's see for both PCs ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/699857

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice