1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Not Access Secure Sites

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by fresquito, Jan 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a friend who had a dial up connection. He recently switch to Broad Band. Once he swithc to Broad Band, he was not able to acces any websites that use secure sites. I took his computer and looked at it at home. I also have broadband and hes computer had no problems using my connection. I could connect to any site I chose. I took his computer back to his house and he still has the same problem. I have no clue what could be wrong. Any ideas? Can it be the Broad Band modem? Any clues or ideas would be greatly appreciated. By the way, he uses firefox as his browser. Neither firefox nor IE will work on secure sites. Pc specs are p4 1.6 Ghz 256 memory XP Professional SP2. Thank you in advance

2. flynstone

flynstone

3. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply flyn. I have tried most of all that was suggested and it did not help. On my original post, I stated that I tested the computer on my broadband connection and everything worked. That leads me to believe their is something wrong the his modem but I dont' have any idea what it can be. I have no idea how to trouble shoot the problem. Any ideas out there?

4. flynstone

flynstone

Go into the UTILITIES link on the left of the page below. There is a fix (patch) at the bottom of the page for XP. Might be a good idea to export your Registry first as a backup -

http://www.webfixes.co.uk/

5. atish_aa

atish_aa

Follow KB article 870700 on support.microsoft.com and your issue will surely get resolved... Good Luck

6. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply I am certainly going to try all suggestions. Just dont get why the pc will function correctly with my modem but not his.

7. Dan O

Dan O

As you have proven by your testing the problem is not a PC problem, but a network problem with the cable/DSL modem settings or with the ISP. The ISP vendor should be able to assist you.

But this link to a MS article may be able to help you test it, see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325487/

8. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

Yeap.... I am now on this pc. I brought it to my home and it works great here. The problem has to be the ISP or the modem. I contacted the ISP and they say it's a problem with the pc. Does anyone know how I could work around not getting any support from the ISP. Are there settings in the modem I could tweaK?

9. Dan O

Dan O

Yes, there are setting in the modem, but the ISP need to provide what to set them to.

10. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3/4ths of the problems that I have seen have resolved to firewall problems.

Is his modem connected to a router which uses a firewall?

Try connecting directly to the modem if that's the case -- for a test.

11. fresquito

fresquito Thread Starter

I thought about the firewalls. I disabled zonealarm... the modem is not connected to a router. The modem connects straight to the pc. I have looked on line for some answers tried several things and still does not work. Funny thing is that neither firefox nor IE work. However, everything is fine when I connect that same pc at my house. I really have no idea what to try next.

12. mongaloid

mongaloid

you should tell your friend that he needs to call his isp (internet service provider)...they will be able to assist him becuase it is an issue with either the settings in the modem, or the settings in his system for their connection...or to try some things yourself if you havn't already..when you try to go to a secure site it brings you to the "the page cannot be displayed" it should also have some things for you to check to make sure that some of the settings are set correctly..though it probly won't help becuase firefox does not go either..so basically, its time to contact the isp...if anyone fixes it without calling the isp...please tell me how becuase i would like to know for my own personal knowledge..

13. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

14. mongaloid

mongaloid

ok, plainly put, he needs to contact his isp, it might be the settings in his modem, or it might just be his isp. but either way...calling them is the only way i see this getting resolved

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!