1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not automatically obtain IP address.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by tirmgt, Apr 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tirmgt

tirmgt Thread Starter

I had a lot of problems with my Laptop the other day and ended up having to reinstall xp pro. since the install, i can not connect to the internet. if i boot up the laptop with the network cable plugged in the laptop does not obtain any information from the cable modem but if i unplug the network cable then xp tells me that it has lost the network connection. i have tried going through ipconfig and releasing and renewing but i get a error. i tried to run a network diagnostics and get the message that the ip address has failed. if i unplug the network connection and connect it to this PC it works fine so i can eliminate the cable, cable modem and network cable as being the problem.

the laptop worked fine before the reinstall of xp but now it does nothing. anyone have any suggestions?

ps: i have not installed anything else such as any firewall protection software, just the full xp sp1 install.

2. bsop

bsop

Hi,

A number of things can be wrong.
    The network interface card may not be installed correctly.
    Your computer may not have "obtain an IP address automatically" selected.

When the XP icon says network installed, all that is referring to is that the cable is connected, the cable is good because basic TX and RX transmissions can occure. If you power down the hub or modem, the network connection will then show disconnected.

That message does not tell you anyting more than the physical hardware is connected and working.

I suspect your network interface card is not working correctly. To verify if it is working or not do the following.

There are several things you can do to verify that the NIC is installed correctly.
    Go to:
    Start, settings, control pannel, system,
    Select the "hardware" tab it it is not selected by default.
    Select the "Device Manager" button.

Look down the list for "network adapters"
    Make sure no question marks or asterisks are at the front of it.
    Double click to open,
    Double click again to open your network interface card.
    Make sure that you get a message, "device is working properly".

If it is installed and working, try the next step.

Go to the working computer and open a command prompt and
    for 98 type winipconfig, select the network interface card and write down
    all the information.
    You will need,
    IP address
    Mask
    Gateway
    DNS

Then in you XP
    Go to start, settings, control pannel, Network Connections,
    Once network connections is open, you should see an ICON with 2 displays and a wire connecting the two.

You will need to right click, I mean RIGHT CLICK, and go down to properties and click again.
    A new window should open. It should default to the General tab.
    In the window should be a list of items. Near the bottom shouls be
    "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

Again, RIGHT CLICK "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"

Select use following IP address instead of obtain IP automatically.
    Put in the exact information as the computer that works.
    Save the settings. XP will not have to reboot unlike Windows 98.
    Make sure the Windows 98 or the other computer is not powered on and try and see it it works.
    The first thing to try is to ping the local address.
    open a command prompt.
    type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" where the xs are the IP address you installed manually.
    You sould get a response if it works.

reply bla bla bla.

If you get a reply statement and not an error,
    then try

"ping www.yahoo.com" If you get a reply, you are connected to the internet.
    If you browser doesn't browse, you have a browser configuration issue.
    We will deal with one issue at a time.

If you don't get a reply,
    you need to check your settings and make sure your DNS is set up corectly.

There is much more to this but I am trying to make it quick and simple.

Good luck

3. plucnik

plucnik

XP usually will detect the cable/DSL modems on it's own but not always. Did your cable modem come with a setup disk? If so, run the install again. If it didn't, I would try shutting everything off first and turn on the modem first and let it initialize and then the laptop (while they're connected). If that doesn't work, look at your network properties and make sure TCP/IP is installed. These steps may sound vague but there could be a lot of different things causing the problem. Start with the basics.

4. tirmgt

tirmgt Thread Starter

i am going to try to answer both responses in one so please excuse any confusion since by the time i submit this at 12 midnight, it will probably make sense, but then when i read it tomorrow i will wonder what i was thinking.. :)

the network "card" is built in to the laptop so it is not one that is inserted into the pcmcia port. i did check the device manager upon installation and there was no question marks or anything. everything was ok. i even updated the 3com driver with a update file that i obtained from dell through another machine just to make sure.

today i got a email from another person telling me to download this xp fix file for tcp/ip information. i read the information on it and it seemed to really be for people that had ip information set up and wanted to clean it out of there system and not really for something in my case, but i tried it anyways thinking at this point it would not hurt. after run the program i ran ipconfig and found that nothing has change. i also attempted to disable the "obtain ip information automatically" from the network settings and use the setting for the ip and dns information from the other PC. i rebooted and attempted to ping and get online, but both failed. i removed all the ip and dns settings, ran ipconfig release and renew ( settings went back to the default 169.xxx.xxx.xxx ) and got a error message during the renew phase telling me it cound not obtain DHCP information from the server.

as for the cable modem disks. nothing came with the cable modem back then and it is a us robotics cable modem, so it is not like it is a generic one were if there was any drivers to be loaded that there might be a problem. i also tried uninstalling tcp/ip and then reinstalling it which was kind of pointless but like you said start with the basics and i have tried to think of anything possible.

5. plucnik

plucnik

Why don't we try a loopback ping? Open the command window and type ping 127.0.0.1 If it returns the ping with no errors, the NIC card and drivers are functioning normally. That would eliminate one thing. Do you have a firewall running?

6. tirmgt

tirmgt Thread Starter

i pinged 127.0.0.1 and it came back fine. 4 sent, 4 received, lost 0. no firewall running. just can not get online.

7. plucnik

plucnik

You mentioned that you can unplug your cable from the laptop and plug it into a PC and the internet works fine. How ablout trying this. Plug the cable into the PC and do an ipconfig/all at the command prompt. Copy down the IP/subnet/gateway/dns that's shown. Go back to your laptop and enter those settings statically into your NIC card properties and see if the internet comes up.

8. myvicisslow

myvicisslow

You mentioned when you release and renew you get an error. What specific error do you get?

9. lynch

lynch

Do you have another computer using that connection without problems? If the laptop is the only thing connected try to reset the modem by unplugging it for 60 seconds and plug it back in.
    lynch

10. Mike_LM

Mike_LM

i spent days trying to figure out a similar problem and it was the laat thing i looked at. XP had incorrectly recognized my card and when i manually forced the correct driver...voila! INTERNET :) hope its that simple. cheers!

11. donimator

donimator

kind of a longshot, but worth a shot i've seen this fix a few dhcp related problems before:

first go into the registry and export this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WinSock2

that way if something goes wrong you can just put it back :)

while still in registry editor, click on hkey_local_machine to highlight it, then 'file', and 'load hive'

open the file %WINDOWS ROOT%\REPAIR\SYSTEM or system.bak

it will ask for a key name so enter a name like "temp" and hit ok. then browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\temp\ControlSet001\Services\WinSock2 and export this to the desktop.

right click on the new file on the desktop and choose "open with" and chose notepad. while in notepad, choose "edit" then "replace".
    this is case sensitive:
    Find What: temp\ControlSet001
    Replace With: SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet

save the file, run it and reboot

again, it's kind of a longshot, but shouldn't hurt to try

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The symptoms when Winsock2 is damaged show when you try to release and renew the IP address using IPCONFIG.

And you get the following error message:
    An error occurred while renewing interface 'Internet': An operation was attempted on something that is not a socket.

Also Internet Explorer may give the following error message:
    The page cannot be displayed Additionally, you may have no IP address or no Automatic Private IP Addressing (APIPA) address, and you may be receiving IP packets but not sending them.

There are two easy ways to determine if Winsock2 is damaged:

From the XP source files, go to the Support / Tools directory

Winsock Test Method 1
    Run netdiag /test:winsock

The end should say Winsock test ..... passed

Winsock Test Method 2

Run Msinfo32
    Click on the + by Components
    Click on the by Network
    Click on Protocol
    There should be 10 sections if the Winsock2 key is ok
    MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]
    MSAFD Tcpip [UDP/IP]
    RSVP UDP Service Provider
    RSVP TCP Service Provider
    MSAFD NetBIOS [\Device\NetBT_Tcpip...

If the names are anything different from those in this list, then likely Winsock2 is corrupted and needs to be repaired.
    If you have any 3rd party software installed, the name MSAFD may be changed.
    There should be no fewer than 10 sections.

To repair Winsock2

Run Regedit
    Delete the following two registry keys:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

Restart the computer
    Go to Network Connections
    Right click and select Properties
    Click on the Install button
    Select Protocol
    Click on the Add button
    Click on the Have Disk button
    Browse to the \Windows\inf directory
    Click on the Open button
    Click on the OK button
    Highlight Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
    Click on the OK button
    Reboot

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!