1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Not Boot From Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DWF_72, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DWF_72

DWF_72 Thread Starter

I just built a new computer with a 2.4 ghz Celeron cpu and an Abit VT7 mobo with serial ata. I tried to put in a hard drive that already has an OS on it. (Win XP Pro). It will boot into Windows but once the splash screen comes on it automatically reboots. I tried 2 other hard drives with OS's on them, but it hangs up right the screen that says verifying DMI pool. I tried known working memory with the same result. All of the hard drives that I have tried are all IDE based hard drives. It reconizes all the hard drives in the BIOS and I have tried all of the hard drives on cable select and on master and neither works. If anyone has a clue as to what the problem is....please feel free to post some suggestions.

Thanks, DWF

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

You just cannot do that and expect it to work. Each disk has windows installed specifically for the machine it was in. It would only work in another machine with exactly the same parts in it. You will have to install windows on YOUR machine.

3. Tumbleweed36

Tumbleweed36

Hi,

You have been given good advice about putting windows on this machine. The best way is to do a clean format and install and then to add windows from an OS disk.

What is happening is that your computer is looking for the old motherboard because the chipset drivers are on the hard drives you are trying. With the other ones you are trying, it is looking for those motherboards because of the chipset drivers for that motherboard.

Hope this clarifies.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/269894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice