1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can not boot into xp home after using tweakui

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Shads, Mar 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shads

Shads Thread Starter

can not boot into xp home after using tweakui.... yes I know is not program specific....

I was tired last night and when I did 1 of a couple things
    1) installed a newer tweakui over top of a existing tweakui
    2) I unchecked all the users that were listed for auto login then ticked auto login

Now cpu will not boot past a user screen where you can not enter any users and have option to boot to floppy.

Sorry if a little vague to the screen but have been doing this over the phone and by netmeeting

So question is how to get this machine to boot to a screen I can get into as F8 key does not work and gives the user screen which so far is usless
    Will not boot into XP Home CD also it goes to this user screen where as said can not enter anything

:cool:

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Try a Safe Mode boot where you should get a built in Administrator account. You couldn't have checked this off in TweakUI as it wouldn't be listed.

Safe Mode is availabe from the F8 boot menu, you just need to tap this early and perhaps repeatedly. F8 should also appear as an option when and if you get to the screen where you choose which operating system to boot into.

3. Shads

Shads Thread Starter

Actually the user names were listed in Tweakui if remember right and I unticked them if was not the user then was Users/Guest/Admin.
    It is not the same Tweakui I am using as it is different in the login section or it has pulled different stuff from that cpu to make the login......(doubt that)

Anyways can not even get to a Safe Mode thats the point of this

What other options to get to Safe Mode besides F8 key which will not work in this case and boot from CD which can not get to in this case also

Am not physically in front of the cpu so can only believe that when told person to tap and to hold down the key they are and that they have changed in BIOS 1st boot device is CD Rom.
    Will have them disable h/drive boot and see what happens tommorrow but if any thoughts to this please post.

Thanks

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Why won't F8 work? In your situation there is no other means of getting to Safe Mode.

Does F8 get the boot menu or is it ignored entirely? If it is ignored entirely, are they using a USB keyboard? If so, the BIOS is not properly configured for USB. Switch to a PS/2 keyboard and try.

5. Shads

Shads Thread Starter

No idea why F8 will not work and provide the Safe Mode menu which is what am trying to get to.

Nope F8 does not get to any menu and yes is ignored.
    Other than a User Log on menu which you can not enter any info or boot to floppy is the only options.

Yes is a USB Keyboard and do not believe there is a PS/2 port on the MB to do so.

Not any problems with keyboard I have heard of or seen since installed and worked on it last.

What settings for USB do you think maybe wrong?
    Pretty sure it is a Amni (sp) bios

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well, I'm not exactly sure other than the normal enable USB support.

I do know that one of our moderators had exactly the same problem and it turned out her USB keyboard was not being recognized. It worked fine in Windows, but f8 did nothing. I just assume it was a BIOS problem.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/451775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice