1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Not Boot Vista - STOP 9F

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Timmuh, Jan 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Timmuh

Timmuh Thread Starter

In the last couple of days something has happened with my laptop so that it will not boot. Acer Aspire 6930, running Vista Home Premium (32 bit).

When run in safe mode it shows a list of loaded files, with crcdisk.sys being the last of these. As I understand it from a little bit of reading since the issue surfaced, that is the last successful file in the boot, not the problem child.
    When run in safe mode the BSOD appears, with an error message DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE and stop code of 9F.
    CCleaner seemed to update and run itself a couple of days before this issue and seems the most likely culprit, or it and something else combined. There were good boots after that though.

I have downloaded a boot disk and attempted to run system restore. That said it fixed one disk issue, and subsequently finds no issues. Nor is there a previous restore point that it could find. I can get a command prompt when using the recovery disk, but that is limited in what it can do.

I'm not techie whatsoever, and am completely stuck with where to go next. My reading makes me think it might be a driver conflict, which fits with the error. Everyone else (that I have read on various forums) who has solved one of these had the issue only after sleep, or intermittently, and had some Windows access.
    I am loathe to do a re-install because there is data on there that I can't afford to lose, and right now have no way of copying it to anywhere else.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Go here to download Ubuntu 10.04 ( There is a newer version, but I am going by my existing setup, so follow along and choose 10.04 ) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download Save the iso file.

Then download ImgBurn from here: http://www.imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

Install ImgBurn and run it.

Choose "Write Image to Disc"

At the top of the Imgburn window, where it says "Source" click on the folder with maginfying glass icon; Then navigate to where you saved the ISO file.

Then click on the bottom area of the window depicting hd write to CD.

That should create the CD.

Now you want to boot with the CD on your PC. Check your BIOS so that it chooses to boot using the CD first. You are looking for the Boot menu, boot priority, or something along that line.

Once you boot into Ubuntu, pull down the Places pull down menu. Choose the ## GB Filesystem. That would be your hard drive. You will be able to see all folders in your drive. Now copy off the files you want to a USB memory stick.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

You really should be using your own system's System Restore since others may well make changes that could lead to problems. If you have a version of Windows from the manufacturer, it can differ from retail versions.

On an Acer, it should be F10 or Ctrl+F10 at boot time.

Have there been any changes to drivers?

Have you tried other options besides Safe Mode?

4. Timmuh

Timmuh Thread Starter

Thanks both.
    I will try Ubuntu when I have time (currently I'm working 7 day weeks, then away for 7 weeks; but hopefully I'll make time in the next few days). Hopefully that will do the trick that other things have so far failed to do.

Elvandil, it has got to the point where I will need to a restore from factory settings; but there is quite a bit of data I want to save first as the inbuilt system restore will clean out this data in the process.
    I tried safe mode first, another repair CD, a thing called SystemRescueCD (to try and get my data off onto other drives or media, but it wouldn't mount the USB stick).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1036011

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice