Can not boot windows 10 from usb on HP elite book

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

callum1210

I have an HP elite book 820 G3 laptop, I had a corrupted hard drive and have now replaced it trying to reinstall windows off a usb device and continuously getting no media present error when I try to boot from file, anyone shed any light on this please? Thanks

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Exactly what kind of file is it and where did you get it?

If it is saved on the USB drive with a .ISO file name extension, it most likely needs to be used to make a bootable USB drive.

Microsoft uses a media creation tool that can be used to create a bootable USB drive or burned onto a DVD to make a bootable disc.

callum1210

Hi, and welcome to TSG.

Exactly what kind of file is it and where did you get it?

If it is saved on the USB drive with a .ISO file name extension, it most likely needs to be used to make a bootable USB drive.

Microsoft uses a media creation tool that can be used to create a bootable USB drive or burned onto a DVD to make a bootable disc.
Hi yes I got the tool from the Microsoft Windows website and went through the instructions to put on usb for another computer, did everything it said to do just now when I try continuously have the same error message, no media, add media etc

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Do you have Boot from USB as one of the boot methods in the BIOS settings? If so, have you tried making it the first place the BIOS uses for booting?

callum1210

Do you have Boot from USB as one of the boot methods in the BIOS settings? If so, have you tried making it the first place the BIOS uses for booting?
Hi when I go to the BIOS setup it asks me for a BIOS password and I’m not overly sure what that would be, I have been going into boot menu and boot from file then said error message no media etc? I’m not too clued up to be honest just little bits here and there,

cwwozniak

Chuck
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
You could try leaving the password field blank. If that does not work, you will probably need to contact HP tech support. From what I found on an HP user forum chat page, HP support may be able to send you a BIOS version-specific file that can be used to access the BIOS settings.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-Elitebook-830-G3-Bios-password/td-p/6554395

Here is a link to the HP support home page for US customers:

https://support.hp.com/us-en

Be careful if you try to find any other HP support with a search engine. The are many fake support sites that try to look like official HP support sites. They may try to scam you out of money or hack your computer.

The rules for this site limit the type of assistance that members can provide for lost or forgotten passwords. We can not go much beyond supplying information from and linking to the equipment manufacturer or software company official website pages.

These methods may help.
[inappropriate content deleted by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

TerryNet

Terry
timsonner, if you had read the post previous to yours you should have understood to keep those ideas to yourself.

TerryNet

Terry
Sometimes I too find it really difficult to not help when the requester seems quite genuinely innocent. We all learn as we go.

For sure, I will keep any password or sensitive information assistance restricted to manufacturer websites.

Last edited:

texasbullet

Ramon
You may want to make an ISO and burn it into a DVD disc to see if you have better luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Staff online