can not connect to internet

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

trent2210

it was fine i checked its all connected it was working i just reset the modem and the computer and i am not reciveing no connection i am useing a router i also hooked it up to the modem there is no problem with the internet because im connected wirelessly with my laptop i really need help

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
HUH?

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

trent2210

JohnWill said:
HUH?

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Make and model of the broadband modem.
Make and model of the router.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make/model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any problem computer, I'd also like to see this:

IPCONFIG /ALL

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.
the modem is Apris touchstone telephoney modem TM402G
the router is linskeys wireless-g WRT54G
wired
compaq presario Sr2103
im also not sure about the updates
and on the ipconfig nothing comes up the compaq suppout guy said i should reset it to factory settings i need help

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
  • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
  • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
  • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
  • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
  • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

IPCONFIG /ALL

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
If IPCONFIG /ALL didn't come up with anything, IPCONFIG won't either.

This indicates Windows doesn't recognize any networking hardware.

Start, Run, devmgmt.msc

Under Network adapters, please tell me all the devices listed. Also, are there any devices anywhere in the Device Manager display with yellow ? or ! displayed?

trent2210

my network adapaters is missing in the device control i mean there is no catogory in my network adapaters

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Were there any unknown devices listed? If not, the it appears you have hardware issues, the actual NIC hardware is not being detected at all by Windows.

Is this a desktop or a laptop? The only hits I get are in Spanish. :) Your IP address indicates you're in the US, are you a RoadRunner user? If it's a desktop, I'd be looking in the BIOS to see if the NIC got disabled. If not, you may have a bad Ethernet port.

trent2210

there is alot of unknown items i am haveing the problem with my desktop i am roadrunner

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
How about a screen shot of the list of unknown items? I'm guessing you need to load the chipset drivers and NIC drivers at a minimum.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to TSG, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.

trent2210

i dont know how that helps me because sense i have no ascess to the internet on that compute best job i can do is take a picture with my phone of it and try to give to you

trent2210

i think i found the problem i downloaded a nvinda driver 2 weeks ago and i guess the ethernet driver messed up

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online