1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can not connect to wifi

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ram1500, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ram1500

ram1500 Thread Starter

the campground i stay at has a wifi connection which i can access from my phone which is how i am typing this message
    however the problem i get is web pages on my laptop will not load. upon further investigation i am
    getting local access only. i hope someone can help me remedy this.
    thanks in advance for those who help.

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

Please attach a screen shot of the Networks page of the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector and show ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
    (For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

You probably can't copy files between the phone and PC; so, if you can't show us the above tell us the IPv4 address and Default gateway address from the ipconfig and tell us the relative signal strength that the laptop sees.

4. ram1500

ram1500 Thread Starter

hope this helps i took pics of what you said to do so hopefully they are visable to you
    there should be two attachments there

Attached Files:

5. ram1500

ram1500 Thread Starter

sorry i think this one has the info you are looking for

Attached Files:

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

In that last attachment the wireless connection looks like a good connection to a router, except for the DHCP and DNS servers. The latter two are "nonsense."

If your phone shows you, what does it get for IP, Gateway, DHCP and DNS servers?

Try these repairs on your PC ...

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

7. ram1500

ram1500 Thread Starter

it does not show on my phone or it may and do not know how to access the info
    tried the repair mentioned above still getting the same results

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

I think you are going to need cooperation/help from the network's administrator. Or, at least see what an ipconfig /all looks like on another computer connected to the network.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/993253