1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not connect wirelessly after making a static IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by CF711, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CF711

CF711 Thread Starter

Recently I set up a static IP for a few of the wireless devices in my home. When I tried to do this for my laptop (a Dell Inspirion 1545) it did not work. It would connect to the router (Netgear WGR614) but the router blocks it from the internet. I since did a system restore on the laptop to before when I gave it a static IP. However it still tells me when I do ipconfig that the "media disconnected" for just about everything. I am getting an IP address, gateway and DNS. I also recently scanned my computer and found no problems with malware. Any advice that could get this fixed would be greatly appreciated.

2. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    Welcome to TSG!!

You can ping your router successfully? Can you see other systems on your network? If it's just getting out to the Internet that's the problem, be sure your Default Gateway is correct (typically your router's LAN IP address) and that the DNS addresses are accurate (whatever your ISP provides, or OpenDNS, or similar, if you go that route).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971292

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice