1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not download anything from the web

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ashish30, Oct 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ashish30

ashish30 Thread Starter

hi ..I have a win2k system, suddenly i observed that i can not download anything from the web, if i try to download any application like yahoo messenger or any other patches from MS also, it opens the dialog box and after a while says could not download from the internet, although my internet connection is perfect, there is no firewall and all services are running as usual

what should i do to fix this problem, i dont have a emergency repair disk , can i create one through the web? would that help

any other ideas would be most welcome, i dont want to re-install the OS

2. Wirelessguy

Wirelessguy

have you tried logging into the machine as an administrator and downloading something. it's possible that you're using an account that has restricted priviledges on that system.

3. ashish30

ashish30 Thread Starter

Its my home pc and i have the full admin rights, actually i am the only one who uses it
    I might want to add that i have mcaffe running on my system and at times i get a msg stating " a virus xyz was found and has been deleted"
    could this have deleted necessary file...
    is there any repair utility available?
    thanks

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I don't think you can blame your AV for the problem, it's probably killing real viruses. :)

Just for grins, create another user account with admin rights, and see if the behavior is the same using that account.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/169042

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice