1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can not get on an internet browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by eyekandi8604, Oct 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. eyekandi8604

eyekandi8604 Thread Starter

I have an acer laptop and a linksys wireless router.. With this laptop i can get on aol instant messenger but not on any web pages... I use internet explorer.. but thinking it was a problem with my provider i tried to get on msn and while setting it up it said i was not connected despite being on aim. I sat on the phone for a couple hours with linksys trying to fix the problem but they finally concluded that the problem was not w/ the router considering i have another computer running off the router fine. I do not have my firewalls on so i dont think thats a problem and besides that.. i can not get on webpages through my wireless or even when i am directly hooked up to the modem. Its been almost a year since the last time i was able to get on the internet. Can you help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Can you tell us your operating system and service pack level?

See if you have internet access in Safe Mode with Networking, please.

3. eyekandi8604

i have windows xp and its service pack 2. i just went into safe mode.. ie did not work there either BUT when i went under netwerk connections it did not have any icons for me to make sure it was connected either so i dont know if that was why it did not work or just because my comp wont work......?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Guaranteed that networking will not work in Safe Mode. That's why there is the Safe Mode with Networking option.

See if the following will fix your problem.

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2 or SP3.

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

5. eyekandi8604

ok so i did what you said.. i typed in the netsh winsock reset catalog.. and it said it was reset.. on the next prompt i typed in netsh int ip reset reset.log and it just put up another prompt.. it did not say it was reset or anything... but ok so then i restarted comp anyway and it did not work. :(

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Did you try Safe Mode with Networking yet?

7. eyekandi8604

It totally works in safe mode!!!! thats so exciting, there is hope!!... do you know what i should do now?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    IE works for you in Safe Mode with Networking but not in normal mode, right? That means some process or service is stopping IE in normal mode. Most likely is a non-Windows firewall (security suite) but could be most anything that runs in normal mode but not Safe Mode.

If you can't find the culprit by looking for a firewall use msconfig (Startup tab) to shut down the extra processes. If the browser works after a reboot you can restart groups of processes until you isolate the one causing the problem.

9. eyekandi8604

Thanks... i did not have to go through the whole misconfig thing... i opened my computer and thought wow! i am so sick of seeing this pop up saying i had to update my ezantivirus.. so i took it off and restarted to apply that change and then my internet worked.. easy as that... THANK YOU SO MUCH... i can FINALLY use this computer now! :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755293

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice