1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not get rules to work automaticlly

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by treasuredphotos, Jan 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treasuredphotos

treasuredphotos Thread Starter

I have two problems both from Outlook 2003 and 2007, on two different computers one with XP and the other Windows 7. On my XP machine I had to upgrade the Outlook Connector with Outlook 2003, after the upgrade the rules and reminders I had stop working. Rules will work if I tell it to Run Rules Now from Tools/Rules Alerts. I even did a repair-reinstall from the disk and it still will not work. I had a Outlook 2007 version that I had bought for a new computer so I removed 2003 and installed 2007 it did not make a difference. I have Live/Hotmail/MSN using Outlook Connector. I have both a MSN and a Hotmail Account, the MSN is the default account. I did get a new laptop, with Windows 7, and installed Outlook 2007 on the new laptop, this is a clean install, but rules will not work on the new laptop either.

Under Account Setting/Data Files with XP it says Name/MSN, File Name/ Not Available, Comment/ Default. Name/Personal Folder, File Name/C:\document and settings\owner\local settings\application data\Microsoft\outlook\outlook.pst. (Windows 7, C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst). I am sure this what I had before with XP with Outlook 2003 before rules and reminders stopped working. I am not sure what rules and reminders have to do with each other, but I sure would like to get them to work. Can Outlook Connector be causing the problem? If not how do I fix it?

2. treasuredphotos

I got this information from another forum. Rules and alerts do not work with Outlook Connector (MAPI) accounts. Refer to the article KB 892455 for information on the same.

I am not sure I understand. I am positive they work with the Connector before I updated to the new version. Was this changed from earlier versions?

Also article KB 892455 says:
    Outlook Connector lets you do the following:
    Set up rules and filters to organize all incoming e-mail messages in Microsoft Outlook.

However it says: Outlook Connector does not support the following features:
    Rules and reminders for secondary stores. What are secondary stores?

3. treasuredphotos

It makes no sense that rules and reminders will not work. Even after a incoming email has arrived in the in box from the Outlook Connector the rule I made will not work automatically. I can run the rule manually after it has arrived, but why will it not run automatically? Also after any calendar event I have scheduled is made, it will snooze. It will open to remind me when it is supposed to, however it will not snooze longer than 20 seconds. I can tell it to snooze 2 hr to two days but it will not do it for more than 20 seconds. This started with 2003 and even after I uninstalled 2003 and installed 2007 this will not work either. So why is it I cannot get answer as to why I cannot get these apps to work?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!