Can not install a HP LJ C8550N printer (with Printer Server card) to Windows XPpro

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rtsc

I have trouble installing a HP Color LaserJet 8550N printer (has JetDirect Printer Server 600N with IP address of 192.168.68.4) to my XPpro PC.
I was stuck when Add Printer Wizard ask me to “specific a Printer”. I selected “Browse for a printer” and came up with nothing (no printer). I tried selecting “Connect to this printer” but I do not know what name to type in (Example is \\server\\printer). I tried selecting “Connect to a printer on the Internet or on a home or office network” but I do not what URL to type in (Example is http://server/printer/myprinter/printer). Therefore, I cancelled the installation.
I had then installed its Printer Utility. The utility is capable of finding the printer and showing me it’s Properties. However, I still ended up with no printer listed to use in Printers and Faxes.
So, XPpro is a step backward in this case.
I could install this printer with printer server on W98/ME because their Add Printer Wizards allow me to use either the IP address or the hardware address to locate the printer server.
I hope I have described my problem well. Please help!

Randy

I usually run a small application (PSAdmin.exe) that came with my printer server. It creates a Network Printer Port.

I install the printer to LPT1 (without the printer connected to the port) and then change the port to the Network Printer Port.

The workaround is to map a local printer to a tcp/ip port as follow:

1) Select to install the printer locally (uncheck detect automatically)
2) Select create new port -> Tcp/ip port and follow the instruction

This should allow you to install a network printer that uses a printer server like jetdirect....

rtsc

Thank you, PC Wiz.
I finally realized that and it works. Appreciated.

Randy

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online