1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can not install windows after a virus

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jailbreak74, Apr 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jailbreak74

jailbreak74 Thread Starter

first of all, i would like to thank you all for reading my problem. i'm at my wits end here. i have a system i put together back in 01 or 02. i have a socket a biostar m7ncd ultra ver 1.0 mobo, and i was running windows xp service pack 2. my problems all started when i got a virus alert from avg. only option was close, so i did so. 2 minutes later my pc just rebooted on it's own. and continually did this until i shut it off. i was using 2 hard drives, my c drive which is sata, and my d drive which is ide, but i ran an sata adapter on it. i have 2 other computers in my home , so i proceded to start trying different things. the bottom line is no windows product will boot up on my pc. i downloaded and burnt an iso of linux ubuntu and that will boot up with no problems . it's just to much for me and the family at this point so i need to get windows going again. any help will be very greatly appreciated. i bought a new 1.5 tb hard drive, installed windows on it from another computer, hooked it to mine and it just says it cannot find the hard drive. the drives show up in cmos and on linux, but no windows????? thank you so much for your time, sincerely jeremy

2. Rich-M

Rich-M

3. jailbreak74

4. jailbreak74

i am wicked sorry for the confusion. i can get the xp cd going, but when it gets to the point of actually installing it. the installer states it can not see my hard drive. i have tried 3 different drives. 2 sata and 1 ide. all 3 wiped completely clean. and on all 3 drives, i am able to install ubuntu linux. my problem sounds like another on here from grinanbearit, but the keyboard isnt my issue unfortunately. thank you so much for reading my problem, and again i'm very sorry about the confusion.....jeremy

5. jailbreak74

hey rich, did you get my last message?

6. antech

antech Banned

Confusing replys jailbreak74,
    Will make the problem even worse.
    Be clear in what you say

7. Rich-M

Rich-M

You are missing a sata driver most likely due to the age of the system. As you are running install you will see "push F6 to install driver" and then you install it from a floppy disk. The motherboard mfgr should have this on the board driver cd somewhere. The other way to do it would be to unplug the sata drives, set ide drive to boot and install to ide drive. Once done you can plug the sata drives back in and clone the ide to sata drive using Acronis True Image or someone may know a free program to do that but I will never use any of them.

8. jailbreak74

even though the sata drive works with linux? thanks again , jeremy

9. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

XP doesnt have the needed driver on its cd
    many flavors of Linux do....Vista and 7 have the needed driver already on the install disk,as they are newer Operating systems

10. jailbreak74

i tried everything rich has said, and still to no avail...this stinks, i even tried an ide drive with windows on it already, and all it does is keep rebooting right after the splash screen. i guess this virus or whatever got me real good....i will not give up without a fight....thank you guys, sincerely jeremy

11. Rich-M

Rich-M

You cannot bring another drive over with Windows on it, the hardware is different and XP will reject it as it is supposed to do. Did you unplug sata drives and try to install to the ide drive? What about pressing F6 and installing the driver during XP install to sata drives?

12. jailbreak74

hey rich, yes i did do both of those things. i'm not sure what happend, but i do know it sucks... why do people have to write virus' and such. they do not even get to see in person who they effect you know what i mean? i just want you to know how much i really appreciate your time and help. not to many people help out strangers now a days when there is nothing in in for them ya know.....thanks man, jeremy

13. Rich-M

Rich-M

Welcome that's all I know on this unfortunately but actually if that didn't work I would say you need a new motherboard.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917591

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice