1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

CAN NOT REOPEN THE SAVED DOCUMENT DUE TO

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by day8th, Jan 25, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. day8th

day8th Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have an excel 2000 file (size: 12.5MB). The file is stored on a NT file server. The server is connected on a switch (A). The client PC that tried to access the file is on a BNC cable connection that connects to a 10Mbps hub and this hub connects to another 10Mbps hub and this hub goes to the switch (A). The problem happened when the user tried to update the Excel file. He opened it from the server. He made some modifications to the data and then he pressed the saved button. Excel 2000 begun saving (file.xls) and finally the following error message appeared on screen: "DOCUMENT SAVED SUCESSFULLY. CAN NOT REOPEN THE SAVED DOCUMENT DUE TO LOW MEMORY. PLEASE CLOSE THE DOCUMENT". If I press OK button then the document will be damaged and will not be opened again, so I tried to save it again. I pressed the save option but instead of saving it, I noticed that the SAVE AS dialog box appeared. I thought that something wrong is going on. I saved the Excel file on the SERVER using another filename (file2.xls). The saving process was successful. I closed Excel 2000 and I loaded again. I tried to open the Excel file (file.xls) but the opening failed with the following error message: "FILE file.xls is not in recognizable form ". After that I tried to open the file2.xls and I SUCCEEDED IN OPENING IT WITHOUT PROBLEMS.

CLIENT PC SPECIFICATION: Pentium III 500 Mhz)
    RAM 128MB)

Question 1: Is the problem to do with the NETWORK?
    Question 2: Is the problem to do with the client PC?
    Question 3: Is the problem to do with the file?

If you have and idea please tell me!

2. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Day: To my knowledge this has to do with network refresh not being done often enough. But I'm not a network person, so I really have no idea!

------------------
    ~dreamboat~
    Brainbench MVP for Microsoft Word
    Brainbench

3. Anne Troy

Anne Troy

First Name:
    Anne
    Also, go to Tools-Options-General tab and make sure "ignore other applications" is not checked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/38489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice