1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not save to drive(A) on a Compaq Model 5240 /Windows 98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by bunnyman, Jan 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

I am unable to save files to drive A on my Compaq Presario Model 5240 computer. I recently restoredit successfully to factory Operating system with restore cds from Compaq. It has an Imation LS-120 floppy drive. I tried ALL ways to save to the floppy. I am using "PC" formatted discs. My stepdaughter uses them at school and she can't save to the disc either. This problem was there BEFORE the "restore" process. The lS-120 drive has more properties than just 3 1/2" floppy disc 1.44mbs.
    Anyone who has a solution please reply. :) Thank you! p.s. the O.S. is Windows 98 2nd edition and the LS-120 came with the computer NEW.

2. DVOM

DVOM

Can the floppy drive read any disks? There's a chance it's just faulty.

3. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Yes, I CAN use the drive to "read"

4. DVOM

DVOM

Have you formatted these disks yourself? Frequently my machine cant' deal with disks that I haven't formatted. Even though they say they've been formatted for IBM.

5. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

No, I purchased these discs pre-formatted . You do bring up an issue though. These floppys are "pc" formatted.Do I need IBM formatted??? OR, should I let the computer format them as they sre. Maybe I should purchase IBM formatted???
    Fact: my stepdaughter does use the discs at school on their computers. She says their computers WILL save the "word" files to the disc.In fact, the LS-120 drive WILL read them. I just can not "save" to them. I get an error message:I bellive it's " Can not read from this source"Anyway It will not save "word" files to the "PC Formatted" floppys in this drive. Help is GREATLY appreciated !!!!

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

Try formatting one of the discs. Click on My Computer, right click on A drive, click on Format. See if that works.

Oh, Welcome to TSG.

7. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

I will try that! I'll get back to you soon. The Computer in question is at my Mom in Law's. Thank's Buckaroo!

8. DVOM

DVOM

bunnyman, PC format and IBM format are probably the same. However, I'd say half the floppies I buy I have to format before my machine will deal with them.

I got tired of the "media not formatted" or whatever error it gives and I just go ahead and format all the disks that I buy.

Just try it the way buckaroo suggests and that should solve the problem.

Edit: Ooops, I see you posted while I was typing.

9. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Thank you guys for the info! I hope this will solve my issue. If not I will post a message saying what happened. It's nice to know that there are people like you guys that will offer help with issues like this. :) I know Windows XP very well, but this 98 version and this LS-120 (Imation) drive "A" has me puzzled.
    If you happen to have a XP problem, I will gladly offer what I can.
    Also, I happen to be a Small Engine Tech for 26 years. If you need assistance with that area, feel free to send me a message. I will surely solve it. I'll be back to this post to let you know if the issue is resolved. SOON as possible! Thanks again to you both!

10. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Hey guys, I walked my stepdaughter thru the "formatting" of a NEW disc. She says after about 10 mins. she got an error message saying "the disc appears to be damaged and needed to be replaced". This is with a NEW "PC formatted" disc(memorex). I am STUCK! Do I need to just yank out the LS-120 drive and install a new standard floppy, OR go into the "cmos" settings and change the properties of the LS-120 to 1.44 mb disc? your help is MUCH appreciated!!!!!!

11. buckaroo

buckaroo

Well, just for the halibut, have her check for any device conflicts. Right click My Computer, click properties, click device manager tab, when that opens highlight "Computer" at the top and then click the properties button at the bottom. There'll then be a listing of all the devices by IRQ's. If there's any conflicts, there'll be an exclamation, or something obvious to show a conflict.

I'm not familiar with that floppy and I know Compaq's BIOS are pretty basic, so I have no way of knowing whether there's anything to adjust in the BIOS.

It could be the drive is going, but I would exhaust other means first. At least floppy drives are dirt cheap! :)

12. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Buckaroo, the first thing I did from the get-go was to check for device conflicts. I figured it was some "strange" Windows 98 problem. I will go over Saturady and exhaust all other solutions, but it appears I WILL have to just pull out that LS-120 and replace it with a standard flopppy drive. You're correct I can obtain one for about $10.00 Thanks!

13. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Hey guys! I removed the LS-120 Super Drive,(drive "A") and replaced it with a standard floppy drive. The problem was immediately RESOVED. Than you all for the advice and help!
    I post this for eveyone else that has a Compaq Presario with the LS-120 "Super Drive" that appears to be a "Super Headache"!!!
    Thanks for all the help!

14. Del

Del

If you added the superdrive and did a restore with Compaq disks, the floppy was probably setup to factory specs, not seeing the superdisk.
    Sometimes with Compaq, you have to remove any new hardware and have just the factory stuff in it to do the restore.

15. bunnyman

bunnyman Thread Starter

Thank you for the comment, however the LS-120 drive was the original drive from the factory. What I did was to REMOVE that LS-120 and install a regular floppy drive(1.44 megabyte) That is what resolved the issue of not being able to save to, or write to drive "A". I guess the LS-120 was going bad,or was not set - up for todays floppy discs. I obtained a USED regular "floppy drive" from a local Computer store. After I removed the LS - 120 "Super Drive" and installed the regular one, I was able to "read" and write to the drive "A". I appreciate the comment, however I think you misunderstood the issue.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114597

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice