1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not start windows

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by HKTO, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HKTO

HKTO Thread Starter

I find one old PC, when I turn on the PC, it's like run windows 98, but can not start up, just show me dll file have some problem. I use boot disk to check AUTOEXEC.DAT file and CONFIG SYS file, AUTOEXEC file looks no problem, but CONFIG.SYS is blank, could you advice me how to fix it.Thank you!:(

2. Blue Zee

Blue Zee

Please post the error messages.

Zee

3. alisongrey

alisongrey Banned

Sounds like you've got either a serious virus at work, or lasting damage has been done to the critical Windows files that are needed on boot. I know that it's possible to restore these using a floppy disk recovery, but you'll need to grab that from elsewhere.

Judging by that, it looks like config.sys has been meddled with or maybe even deleted from your system files. Are you receiving any specific error message or is it just a blank screen? Either way, you will need to replace/repair these files to regain access to Windows.

4. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Hi in most cases AUTOEXEC.DAT file and CONFIG SYS file are not needed to run 98 and 98se.
    Start with the boot disk.
    At the prompt type.
    sys a: c: [note spaces]
    That should copy the files from the foppy disk.
    Then type.
    fdisk /mbr
    That should repair the master boot record.
    Remove disk>reboot.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    That's correct. When I was using Windows 98SE or Windows ME, the AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files were kept blank.

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755636

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice