1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can not upgrade

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by MACROSS, Dec 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MACROSS

MACROSS Thread Starter

HELP!!!

I don't know what to do! I have windows 2000 professional in my computer and I want to upgrade to Windows XP. Every time I insert the WIN XP upgrade CD in to my CD ROM and I click on the install button a message comes up saying something like it can not do the upgrade. So I was thinking of reformating the hard drive to win 98 and do the upgrade from there. But I do not know how to reformat it since I cannot access DOS mode from Win 2000 to do a (format c: ) command.
    Can some one please give me some advise on how to do this please!!

Thanks a lot!!!

2. Dan O

Dan O

You should be able to upgrade from Windows 2000, which is a lot simpler. A running task may be preventing it. Disable all virus scanner, disk, and other third party utilities. Then try the install again. If you still have problems depress Ctrl+Alt+Del and end task almost everything and try again. If you still have problems, please post the exact error message.

Good luck.

3. MACROSS

MACROSS Thread Starter

Thanks a lot Dan O

I will try that

I appreciate your help!!
    Billy

4. MACROSS

MACROSS Thread Starter

I can't do it for some reason....I may be doing something wrong but I did what you told me to do! CTL, ALT, DEL and on the application tab only have one thing running, so I disabled it, tried to upgrade again and this is what I got:

"Setup can't apgrade your current installation to Windows XP
    Your current installation of Windows is not a supported upgrade path
    Setup cannot continue"

I don not what else to do!!

HELP PLEASE!!

5. Brooks

Brooks Guest

It sounds like you have the XP home edition which cannot be upgraded from Windows 2000.

However, you can still do a clean install of XP. You will not keep any settings, but since you were talking about doing a format and install of 98 then that does not sound like a problem for you.

The easiest way is to boot from the CD.

Put your cd in the tray and reboot.

When it reboots, there should come up a screen that says to press a key to boot from CD. If for some reason it never shows this, then what you will need to do is go into your bios and change the boot order so that the cd drive is tried before the hard drive.

You could also go over to microsoft and download the 6 boot floppies for XP.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!