1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can only connect at 26k max on dial up

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gsbham, Dec 2, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

I know that my computer can connect at 56k but where I'm living right now it only connects at 26K maximum. Is there any way to coerce the phone company to give me a better line or do i need a data lline? Can anyone help with this?

2. Dan O

Dan O

3. Rockn

Rockn

Any tweaking you do isn't going to make any difference if your phone line is noisy or older technology. It could just be the wiring in your house also. Have the telco come out and test your lines from the jacks to the outside connection to see if that's the problem first. I wouldn't think they would offer DSL service either if the lines are that bad. You might want to check out cable to see if it's available in your area.

4. casper03

casper03

It may also be that the line you are now on is a DAX line(not
    sure if thats the right spelling lol) which basically means that
    there are two customers using one line split into two which
    then only gives you half the bandwidth

5. padutch

padutch

gsbham,
    I have a never ending battle going on with my phone company.
    Bell, now Verizon. I always connected at 52,600 like clock work until 2 years ago. I was working on line and the phone went dead. An hour later I got service back and only connected at 28,800. It has been this way ever since that day. It turned out that they did some work at a sub-station. Time after time I have called and complained. They send a service man out and he checks the lines and says that is all they have to give me , that I have good enough for voice quality and that is it. Well I am still battling with them to no avail. No it is not my PC as I can take it anywhere else and connect at 52,800 with no problem. I think if I could get in touch with someone higher up in management I could get this resolved but they are real careful not to let you. I will tell you one thing. If you do call the phone company to complain, DO NOT TELL THEM YOU HAVE A COMPUTER CONNECTED TO THE LINE!!!!! As soon as I told them that my computer told the story their attitude changed. Some day I will make up a web page telling the story of my grief and Varizon. Not that it will do any good but give me piece of mind.
    DUTCH

6. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

This is just what happened to me. I ordered a second phone line for my house to be used for my computer. Southwestern Bell had been advertising a second line to be used for teens in your home or computer use.

They told me that the line was working fine and there was nothing more they could do. I finally had to threaten them with letters to the editor of the local news paper and the Better Business Bureau before they managed to fix it.

Keep trying. Be a pain in their A**.

John

7. gsbham

gsbham Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your help guys. I appreciate it. It looks like the phone company is using an analog to digital converter on my line so it looks like i'll have to make due with 26k.

8. Shadow2531

Shadow2531

If you have only one line in your house, disconnect every phone in the house. Phones cause more interference than anything else.

Disconnect 1 phone at a time and watch how the speed increases each time.

every phone will bog down your connection.

if you have a second line for the computer, make sure no phones are conected on that line too.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60386

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice