1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can ONLY connect wireless at home...HELP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dkoholic, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkoholic

dkoholic Thread Starter

I have a 7 month old Toshiba satellite notebook with an internal wireless card. When it was new came with McAfee Antivirus.
    I turned the notebook on - it found my wireless network no issue.
    I then changed to ZoneAlarm. At home works fine.
    When I go to Panera and attempt to use their free wireless... My wireless network connection icon says - 2 networks available click here to choose one.
    When I click - It says NO networks available.

I found out my notebook has configfree software to find the wireless access points.
    I attempted to use that software That software showed the access points but when I
    Tried to connect it said error connecting.
    I then changed my TCPIP setting took the checkmark out of allow Windows to manage my connection and
    still got the error - can not connect.

I change all of my settings back - And when I went home - I had the same issues as at the Panera.
    I finally had to do a windows restore to connect at home.

HELP - does anybody have clue what I need to change I would like to use my notebook wireless on other networks.

I am pretty lame. My network is open at home.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition
    Software Version: 7.0
    I am Running - ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Try disabling ALL the firewalls, because I suspect that's the root of the problem.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646414

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice