Can only go so far w/IE on some websites

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

redjr

Over the past few weeks I've developed a symptom with IE on a couple of computers used in my home and on my network. I'm using Windows XP/SP2 and the PCs in questions and IE, v6.0.2900 128-bit. This only seems to be affecting 2 PCs; the VAIO subnote my wife uses in the living room (connected wireless), and my son's comnputer which is hardwired.

It seems I can only go so far on certain websites. For instance, I can't logon to my Yahoo account using the Sony VAIO. I connect ok to the Internet, but whereever there seems to be an issue with encrypted, or secure logon does it fail. I can't logon to my banking account either. In addition, I've tried to use the Windows Update feature and that fails as well. :confused:

At first I thought it was a virus, or some other malware, but I use both Norton anti-virus, and Zone Alarm as my firewall. I've double checked all those settings, and active-x settings in IE. Could these all be related to the problem?

My office desktop PC and notebook I use for business, are not affected by this strange anamoly. I might add, that this problem has only surfaced over the last 60 days.

What gives? Any ideas?

Thanks much,

redjr...

Byteman

Gone but Never Forgotten
Hi, This is the Microsoft step by step to troubleshoot this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;870700

This often fixes it and is a lot quicker: Be sure all browser windows are closed> and,

Re-register the following files, one at a time,

Run the following commands from start/run:

Regsvr32 softpub.dll
Regsvr32 wintrust.dll
Regsvr32 initpki.dll
Regsvr32 dssenh.dll
Regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
Regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
Regsvr32 sccbase.dll
Regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
Regsvr32 mssip32.dll
Regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

, after each you should get a "successfully registered x file" message.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online