1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Open Office Run Word & Excel?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by workingmom, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. workingmom

workingmom Thread Starter

Hi. I have a Gateway laptop with Vista. My Microsoft Word trial period has run out, and I have a bunch of Word & Excel documents saved. If I download Open Office, will it run those documents ?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes. Does quite a good job of it too.

3. workingmom

Do I have to do anything after I download Open Office to make it run them?

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Install it.

5. slurpee55

slurpee55

Bob's being a little terse here. ;)
    OO is a full office suite, just like Microsoft Office. Writer will natively open Word documents and save other types of files as Word documents also. It can save in other formats as well, such as .pdf and OpenDocument (an XML format)L.
    Calc is a darn good spreadsheet program, natively able to open Excel files and save files as such. It also can save files to other formats, such as .pdf and OpenDocument. If you have a really, complex Excel spreadsheet, there is a possiblility that some things might not work - usually this is because of macros or VBA scripts that are not supported by OO. To a lesser degree, Writer might not open a really, really complex Word document correctly, but I have only seen a few cases where someone used Word to that extent.

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Yes. No need to a lot of extra words.

If you want a longer sentence. Download the program and then install it.

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

LOL - okay, point taken Bob. :)

8. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

No sweat. There is even a "portable" version out there where you don't even need to install OpenOffice. You can just run it. I keep a copy on my flash drive for certain occasions.

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

Really? That sounds interesting...how big is the one that you keep on the flash drive?
    [EDIT]I found out myself - about 144MB[/EDIT]

10. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

About 170 megs.

11. workingmom

Thank you so much. I'm not likely to have anythng very complicated to save, and I don't know a .pdf from a PBJ ... lol... much less XML. I just want my kid to do his homework and be able to save it on the computer, and to keep track of my budget.

Thank you Slurpee, & thank you, too, Bob. I downloaded, and now I have to go to bed. I'll be back if I can't figure it out!

12. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's what my kids use as well. Most folks don't need all the complicated extra stuff anyway. Just want to save your basic word and excel files.

The only thing it really lacks from being a full office suit is a decent e-mail program.

13. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

14. slurpee55

slurpee55

Thanks Bob - it will certainly come in handy - I have MS Office at work and at home, but some clients don't have it - or have very old versions....
    Ever use the Base portion of it? I use Access a lot, and am wondering how it compares in general. I have had some problems, but that was with an earlier version of OO.

15. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Database compatibility is always an issue. Even going from one version of Access to another means you have to update the database file and it is not backwards compatible.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/682555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice