1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can opening infected file on the cloud harm a computer?

Discussion in 'General Security' started by simr, Aug 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simr

simr Thread Starter

Hi, I have a theoretical question.
    If someone shares with me an infected file though email or online cloud like Google Drive for instance, or if someone uploads an infected file to Google Drive. Can opening the infected file from Google Drive such as a video or music infect the computer that it's being played on even though it's not being downloaded, just opened and run directly from the online cloud service?

Thank you to whomever can answer me, I appreciate it.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Opening and running means "download and run". Your computer has to retrieve the file first then execute it. So yes, you will get infected if you run an infected file from where-ever.

It is the act of running a file that starts the infection process.

3. simr

simr Thread Starter

1) Is there any chance that running a video on Google Drive (or YouTube) can infect my computer, in light of the fact that they claim to scan all uploaded content and that anything on the aforementioned sites are clean?
    2) Can having one infected file on the cloud such as Google Drive infect another file sitting in the same cloud account?
    (I know that both question seem contradictory, but I'm asking at least theoretically.)

Thank you very much lunarlander!

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Google says it only scans files smaller than 25MB. A video file's size is probably bigger and won't get scanned.
    https://support.google.com/a/answer/172541?hl=en

When infections occur, they can contaminate any file within reach of the user. So where ever the user is logged into, infections can occur.

5. simr

simr Thread Starter

Should have remembered that.
    Not sure what you mean by that, do you mean in the computer or the online account?
    Please elaborate.
    Thanks.

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

It involves a little bit more work, but yes, an infection could spread to the contents of an online account.

7. simr

simr Thread Starter

If someone watches a video online, whether on YouTube, Vimeo or anywhere else, could his computer get infected if that video is? If yes, then any video someone watches online, could potentially harm him? Pretty scary stuff.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice