1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can partition but can't format hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by charmed, Feb 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. charmed

charmed Thread Starter

OK! Here is what's happening.... I installed a new WD 60 GB hard drive. I flashed BIOS with correct driver ..flash said ok. Still showing only 32GB. Ok... said fine...I'll replace motherboard later and then get full use of 60GB...I went to load Windows 2000...I get error that drive is damaged or has been corrupted. I can fdisk to partition this drive but when I try to format it gives error "invalid drive". And I did make "C" active during formatting. I don't know if I am doing wrong or using wrong, MS-Dos program, Fdisk or what.PLEAssssSE HELP!!! My husband is going nuts without his puter!!! Could a brand new drive be corrupted?
    Any help appreciated!

2. blackfriar

blackfriar

When you run FDISK view your partition information and see what it says. I think it's option 4.

When you see the primary partition what filesystem does it say?

Also you need to restart the computer after changing any partition information and before formatting the drive.

If you plan to reformat I do it in these steps:

1)Run Fdisk choose option 3, delete primary partition the esc out of Fdisk

1)Run Fdisk, now create Primary Partition

1)Restart (with boot disk)

Format "format /s C:" (or whatever letter your HDD is)

3. charmed

charmed Thread Starter

Partition= c:1
    Status=A
    Type= Pri Dos
    Mbytes=32253
    System=FAT32
    Useage=100%

Does this help?:confused:

4. blackfriar

blackfriar

Partition= c:1
    Status=A
    Type= Pri Dos
    Mbytes=32253
    System=FAT32
    Useage=100%

What this means is that there is a valid File Allocation Table (FAT)
    It is a Dos filesystem and is using 100% of your 32GB Hard drive.

Was there a 32GB hard drive and then you install another 60GB? or did you replace the 32GB?

Are they shareing the same IDE cable? or on seperate cables?

If they share are the jumpers configured properly to set one a Master and the other as Slave?

Did you change any other settings, other than flash the BIOS?

5. rmay635703

rmay635703

Use windows 95/98 and all will be well.

Download data lifeguard and USE IT
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp

Otherwise

I have had this problem too on slightly older systems where windows 2000 give miscelaneous annoying errors when the drives parameters aren't detected quite right by the bios.

Three things, I believe you have done one fdisk and format in DOS for fat32 and install 2k overtop, if you can access it in dos it better be accessible in 2k

If that doesn't work delete all partitions, install 2k and use Windows 2k to make its own partition.

3rd option (probably best) is to get a disk overlay program for your WD hd straight from Western Digitals website,
    http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp
    the disk will partition, format and everything and it will make the drive the CORRECT size by using EZ-bios or the like.

Cheers
    Ryan

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

In the bios, how does the drive appear?

7. charmed

charmed Thread Starter

Had a 30Gb and took it out replaced it with the 60GB. Hard drive is set as master and I have a cd-rom as slave.

Didn't change anything else, just flashed BIOS.

I just tried to format and when at the a: prompt and I type c:/s an error comes back that it's an "invalid drive". But it shows up as c: drive when I fdisk it!!!!

8. ~Candy~

c: /s is not a proper format command.

format c: /s

When you hook up a new hard drive, you should access the bios setup to be sure it is seeing the change of drives.

9. charmed

charmed Thread Starter

yep! checked the bios,it showed new hard drive but not as 60gb only 32gb. and actually I did use format c:/s sorry left that out.:eek:

I tried suggestion about the data lifeguard but it will not partition or format if you are installing windows 2000 and I do not have Operating system disks for 95 or 98. Although it does show my new hard drive with the full 60gigs.

Any more help is appreciated... I will try everything...

Thanks to all for the help so far...:)

10. tlund_99

tlund_99

Data Lifeguard will partition and format the drive for you in any setup you want ,if you follow the Quick install sheet included with the drive.This would be in preparation for the installation of Win 2000.

11. blackfriar

blackfriar

WIN2000 is NT based (I think) which also means that it uses NTFS file system instead of FAT32 (Win95/98).

I just install Windows XP from a CD and it will format the drive for you. I'm not sure if 2000 does the same.

In that case you might try to set an option in your BIOS to change the boot order. Set it to boot from your CDROM drive instead of A:,C:- whatever.

Then just reboot with the 2000 CD in your drive - it might be that simple.

12. ~Candy~

:confused: What shows it with the full 60 gigs?

13. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the Data Lifeguard program and what it's recognizing the new HD as.

Unfortunately, his BIOS only sees 32Gb.

edit:
    Ok, after reading this FAQ on WD's website BIOS Limitations , it seems the overlay utility won't work with Windows 2000.

Therefore, you have three options: (from what I can see)
    1. Get an add-on IDE card that supports larger HDDs
    2. Get a new motherboard
    3. Use your old 30Gb drive until you do 1 or 2 and then add the 60Gb drive as a slave.

14. ~Candy~

Ah, ya, got you.......if you ARE going to use an overlay program, I would highly recommend ditching WD's and downloading Maxtor's instead. It is much more user friendly.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119754

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice