Can PATA & SATA HDDs live together in harmony?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Stez

I have an Intel D865GLC motherboard (P4 3.0) that supports both PATA and
SATA. My existing hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 120GB Ultra
ATA/100. I am considering buying a Western Digital WD3200JB/PB as a second
hard drive. Can I use both the EIDE and a Serial ATA hard drive together
on this system? Should the SATA HD be the primary drive? Can further SATA
drives be added later?

Cheers........... Stez

Both types of drives can be used and personally I would make the SATA your boot drive. If there are more SATA connectors, and these days I'm sure that there are, you can add a SATA drive in the future.

Yes they can be used together, just make sure to load the SATA drivers before you install windows if you are going to use the SATA as the boot drive.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I have two SATA drives in a RAID-0 array here as my boot drive, and two drive drawers for IDE drives. I always have a backup drive in one of them, and the other is for testing and data transfer.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online