1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Pc Explode???!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coolaid, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. coolaid

coolaid Thread Starter

my pc has a poor PSU, with a bad chasis and a bad cooling and bad fans, now what are the chances that my pc will catches fire or explode? see i'll be leaving my pc unattended for long periods of time, and i fear that it might burnt down my whole house when i came back, no really, i'm serious.

the weather's been quite cool lately, so i'm guessing it won't overheat as long as the fans are still working, but i don't know about my psu, it's brandless and underpowered, and in recent past, has have power hiccups in which my pc, all of the sudden, begins turining off then on then off and on rapidly, i plug the plug in time to prevent more damage, although my pc DID went dead for 10 mins, giving off the "fried ram" beeping signal, however the next day the dead pc came back to life, for unknown reasons.

what concerns me the most is that if i leave my limping pc on for long periods of time (50hours or more) will it explode? i really do not wish to come home seeing my percious house...you know.

so please help me if you can, although i cannot replace components in my pc, it's personal.

many thanks for the great help here.

250w brandless psu
    asus mb
    p4 2.6
    1gb ram
    60gb hd
    gf6600 pcie
    tv card
    dvd rom
    dvd writer

2. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

ummmm it is very rare that they explode, if explode is the right word, but why not just shut it down when you leave? or buy another power supply and save your system.

3. telegramsam

telegramsam

the chances it will EXPLODE are near zero.

The chances that you will demolish the rest of your hardware by running it with a known bad PSU are reasonably high.

That 250W PSU is probably a little less than adequate for that GPU, which may be the beginning of your problems.

4. Jackiefrost9

Jackiefrost9

250 watts should be enough for that system but if it is a piece of crap power supply then it probably isn't even putting out 250 watts of stable power. I would really get a new PSU, why risk paying 600 bucks for a new system when you could pay 60 for a new power supply?

5. coolaid

coolaid Thread Starter

thanks for the gelp, although i cannot take apart my pc for personal reasons, has there been any known incidents of pc catching on fire or exploding? i rememebr a while ago a sony or dell notebook blew up in a conference meeting, could that happen to me?

i just don't want my house to go boom.

6. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

The notebook issue relates to a faulty line of notebook batteries.

Your PC is not a notebook and has no LiOn battery.

Nobody here can give any 100% guarantees the PC will or will not catch fire. The same goes for any electrical device.

As above, simply turn the PC off when not in use. Simple solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536969

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice