1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can PCs handle being outdoors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by brogan, Apr 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brogan

brogan Thread Starter

I was planning on putting an old pc in my garage for basic needs. I live in an area that gets hot and humid during summer months. Can a pc function under these conditions ok or will it overheat?

2. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Add case fans for adequate ventalation for heat.
    If your PC randomly reboots it cannot and the heat (depending on how hot it gets) can actually damage your PC. It should NEVER get over 67 degrees Celcius (152 degrees Farenheit).

Just as long as water does not condense on anything in the garage, aside from your beer can, the humidity shouldn't affect it.

Also, being in a garage there will be more dust / dirt than a house so occasionally spraying out the case to make sure air flow is OK is a must.

3. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

The temps AND humidity will have a great affect on the cooling, not counting hte dirt/dust/bugs/pests that will accumulate inside the case. We have several hundred systems around the area that we built that are in the same places as you describe(NOT where we recommend using them, but...................) and they do function. Besides additional case/hardware cooling(using fans w/filters, bigger power supplies, etc.), a monthly cleaning of the inside of the case is required. It's not the best but it can work IF you take the time bi-monthly or monthly to ensure the inside is clean and the weekly cleaning of the fan filters is done.

4. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

100% whole heartily agree

5. LONGHAIR

LONGHAIR

I have several around the warehouse where I work. While technically not a garage (as in parking a car) the weather conditions are very much the same. The dock doors are open when it is warm outside and the heat is down as low as 55 overnight on the winter. They do get a quarterly cleaning but that is about it. Amazingly enough though they are not any dirtier than the ones in the enclosed office area.

6. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

We get them back in the shop so bad you can literally tip the case sideways and have the dirt fall out!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A good vacuuming(electronic vacuum, not a regular vacuum sweeper), a good several blasts of canned air on the inside, a once over to make sure everything is still intact and didn't get knocked loose, re-assemble the case, do an outside cleaning job and it's ready to go for another 6 MONTHS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Unless they DO overheat, that's as soon as we usually see them brought in. And here it is recommended that the humidity be kept no higher than 35% and the temps at 65 or below for a suitable working environment!!!!!!!! WHO DOES THAT????????????????? Maybe us at the shop and a few of the computer labs at the factories, businesses, colleges, hospitals, etc. but the general populace........no way! It's amazing some of these systems we built are still running when they are brought in. I have actually gone on service calls because there was "freezing up or lockups" and the computer was in the main garage with 90+ humidity and 100 degrees and it was acting up. After removal of 3 pounds of dirt and a good cleaning, no problems............Jeeezzzzzzz.....

7. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

3lbs????????????????????!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LMAO!!!

Ouch...that just goes to say....people, take care of your computers!
    Water + computer componets = DEAD
    Heat + computer components = DEAD
    Static + computer compontents = DEAD
    Screw driver slips + computer componets = DEAD
    Power spikes + computer components = DEAD
    etc. + etc. = say it with me........................F#*KING DEAD!!!!

Clean them, and monitor them or their.......DEAD:)

8. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

I guess you would find it even funnier since the business is one of the largest "excavating" contractors here in town!

9. brogan

brogan Thread Starter

I guess I'll have to stay on top of keeping it clean... something I'm not so good about doing on my main pc.

10. CAPSLOCK

CAPSLOCK

Where R U located?
    Does your company have a site?
    Excavating? I hope it's not coal! I could only imagine the amount of polution / dust that would create.
    My website, by the way is www.sharpsystems.com (I've been associated in the past with Hitachi, Samsung, Toshiba, Kyocera/Yashica, etc..)
    Who is the actual 'head' or moderator of this site? Do you know StillLearnin'?

11. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I suggest not having a floppy or CD drive on the machine, those are some of the first devices to be affected by sucking in dirt. You may have to open it up and clean it a couple times a year, but they'll work fine in any space where you feel even remotely comfortable using it. :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/224412

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice