1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can ping another computer but can't access files

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sporteyes, Sep 11, 2019.

1. sporteyes

sporteyes Thread Starter

After a super long windows update, our two computers at the office are no longer able to connect to each other. I can ping the computer, but when I try to access the files I need, it says the other computer is not accessible. I don't know if the update changed settings (my thoughts) but if they did, I don't know what settings need to be changed. I changed all the ones that I could figure out (private network, etc.). Googled all the options and nothing works. We are connected through the same internet modem so in theory should be on the same network. And I can ping the computer I need to access using the IP, but try to connect in the file explorer and it tells me the computer is not accessible.

2. SeanLaurence

SeanLaurence

First Name:
    Sean
    You did say you are running windows, but you didn't say which version (7? 8.x? 10?) You need to share that before continuing.
    Check that your network connection properties is set to "Private" (Not Public)
    Is (was) the networking done with "Homegroups" or traditional networking.
    You said you only have 2 computers, correct? You don't have a domain in the office?
    Try using fsmgmt.msc to look at your network shares.
    Use credential manager to view stored workgroup logins.
    Try disabling your firewalls temporarily to see if it is blocking things.
    Make sure that your workgroup name is the same on both computers.

3. sporteyes

sporteyes Thread Starter

Sorry windows 10 on both computers. I did verify private network settings (one of the first things I did). I don't know how the networking was done. It was done by Quickbooks tech support since the file we are sharing is Quickbooks. But when I called them today to help fix the network, they said it requires an IT person because it is not related to the software so they wouldn't help me. I know they did check a bunch of settings. I know it is set up to standard WORKGROUP and made sure they both say that. No domain, just both computers connected via ethernet to the same modem. Firewalls were disabled. I will try the fsmgmt.msc (never heard of this one) tomorrow when back in the office.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1232834

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice