1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can ping by IP addr but not by name

Discussion in 'Networking' started by demccarthy, Sep 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. demccarthy

demccarthy Thread Starter

I was trying out VMware(a virtual partition program), but it was slowing my PC down, so I deinstalled it and then my networking was fubar.

Running XPpro, cable internet with linksys 4 port router.
    My laptop works fine and i tried swapping ports with no change.
    I use internal addrs on my network, with the router as the default gateway. Comparing the configs on my desktop and laptop, looks the same, although the laptop is running ME.

-Netbios works because i can see and transfer files to my laptop.
    -I cant http to my router using its addr, but i can ping it.
    -I can ping my DNS servers and anywhere else by addr but not by name.
    -My AIM and POP email aren't working either, so its not limited to port 80.
    Seems more like a DNS issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. demccarthy

PS..
    -No difference when booting in safe mode with networking
    -can ping by name to an addr in the dnscache, but still cant use IE to get to it.
    -IE says i need to connect, when i do it says the page unavailable..
    i'm spinnin my wheels on this one, lol

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I think you need to repair your IP stack. First thing to do is remove everything from networking and reboot and let it re-install. If that doesn't fix it, try this site for a winsock fix which sometimes is effective in cases like this. http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

4. demccarthy

thanks john,
    i couldnt delete the ip config. i'm running xp. so i deleted the nic card from hardware and reinstalled it with no change.

also tried doing "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" with no change, which is supposed to reset yur ip to a clean state.

also tried doing a repair reinstall of windows xp with no change.

tried resetting all network related services to windows defaults.

the link u posted has a version for xp but my mcafee found a backdoor virus on it @
    http://members.shaw.ca/techcd/WinsockXPFix.exe

will try to find this util elsewhere. any other suggestions for network registry fixes or a place i can find specifics to edit it manually would be appreciated. Thanks, Dianne

5. JohnWill

That's interesting about the backdoor virus! :rolleyes: You can't be too careful. :)

6. demccarthy

i tried getting this util from 3 other sites and they all had the backdoor virus warning. maybe there's something about any program that messes with winsock that's the criteria for defining a backdoor?? who knows, my puter is fubar enough without trying to use this.

7. JohnWill

Well, I know several people that I've pointed to the original site, and they've successfully repaired their problem with it. I suspect that it's something about the program that makes the heuristics analysis of McAfee trigger on the file.

8. kaufmans

kaufmans

Had some similar problems with win 2000. I finally got pointed in the right direction be looking at a log file that win2000 keeps of all services. I have never used XP so I don't know if it has the same thing. What was happening was that my DHCP service was not starting which kept me from getting an IP address on my machine. This doesn't sound like your problem but maybe if you can find a logfile you might find an error to lead you in the right direction.

9. ross_nix

ross_nix

ADDITION:

found this on a website >>>>

Why can I ping a site's IP address but not the domain name?
    If you can ping a website's IP address, such as 66.218.71.198 (the IP address of Yahoo.com) but you cannot ping the domain name, such as www.yahoo.com, you probably have not entered DNS server settings in your TCP/IP settings. Check the documentation from your ISP for DNS server addresses and enter them in your computer's TCP/IP settings. If you do not have this information, contact your ISP for this information.

dunno why VMWare would do that ... but its worth checking out...

if that doesnt work , check in the Services.MSC for anything that refers to DHCP services using Start > Run

by the way , running a repair reinstall probly took out any chance of doing a SYSTEM RESTORE back to before you installed VMWare.

did you try to remove the winsock entries and then running a Repair of XP ?

http://www.jsiinc.com/SUBN/tip6600/rh6613.htm

you may or maynot follow thebit about exporting the registry, its already so messed that its probably not going to help....

10. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Just a hunch but try turning off your firewall and see if you can connect.

11. funkenbooty

funkenbooty

Here is another site that has the winsock fix

Did you check for spy and ad ware?
    Try ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /renew

reboot the entire network

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166047

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice