1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can ping website but can't browse

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by bonniewallace, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonniewallace

bonniewallace Thread Starter

I have been scouring the web trying to find a solution to this problem to no avail. I am having trouble with the security camera's at my son's daycare. Last week the site worked fine with no problems whatsoever. Then, on Monday, the website just stopped working and IE says "Cannot display this page". When I run the diagnostic it says the site is online but not responding to connection attempts. I tried this in IE 6, Firefox, and Google Chrome with the same result. I can also ping the website with no problems.

I called the daycare to see if it was on their end and they said all their cameras are online and the director said she can access the cameras from home just fine. I, however, cannot access from either of my jobs (one computer with Windows 7 and one with XP) OR from home.

I turned off the Window's Firewall and uninstalled Norton and all other malware/spyware software. I was even desperate enough to perform a complete system restore on this computer at work and nothing fixed this.

Please help before I throw this computer through the window.

2. valis

valis Moderator

if you cannot access it from two separate computers on the outside (work and home, if I understand correctly) and those two computers are truly separate, then the odds are VERY high that it is on their end. The fact that they can access it within their own domain doesn't necessarily mean that someone outside their domain can access it.

Obviously this is sensitive stuff, so I'm not going to ask you to post the website here, and you can't PM someone until you have 5 or 10 posts. We'll wait for some of the network gurus to show up, see what they say.

3. bonniewallace

bonniewallace Thread Starter

The director said she is logging in from home from her personal computer, so she's not on the daycare's domain when it's working for her.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1002511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice