1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can play streaming audio, but no system sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Grendel02, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Grendel02

Grendel02 Thread Starter

Can anyone help me!?!?!? I have an hp pavillion 750c with XP Pro. My system sounds are not playing. I can play audio with Winamp with no problem but when I check the properties for Sounds and Audio Devices it says there are no audio devices, playback devices, etc. I have rolled back, uninstalled and updated drivers (not necessarily in that order) and have had no luck......Today all system sounds came back after a System Restore but were gone again after the next time I started up. What is going on here!?!?!The audio driver is Intel(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller
    Please help!!!!

2. Grendel02

Grendel02 Thread Starter

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    hi, welcome to tsg

does the pc make sounds when it boots or shuts down.
    can you play a CD?

can you have a lok in device manager and see if there are any yellow triangles
    may need a new driver
    when did this start happening and can you remember if you installed any hardware or software?

4. Grendel02

Grendel02 Thread Starter

Thank you for your reply.......

The system doesn't make any sounds on startup/shutdown. I can play CD's although I just Defragged and now I can't play anything I have this message:

DirectSound output v2.2.10 error Device not found. Please select another device in configuration. Error code 88780078

All this started after I ran HiJackThis to remove spyare......
    I have no yellow triangles in Device Mgr but there are yellow ? next other devices and USB device which were installed w/computer and now are gone.
    This is driving me nuts....if I do a System Restore the DirectSound message will go away but still no system sounds or recognized sound device....

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    sorry "Grendel02" do you still have yellow ? in device managers at the moment - if so where

6. Grendel02

Grendel02 Thread Starter

yellow ? next other devices and USB device which were installed w/computer and now are gone.

:confused:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248213

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice