1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can Power Supply go bad swapping parts?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Shappy, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shappy

Shappy Thread Starter

So i was excited today cause i just got my new stuff for an upgrade, a GigaByte GA-K8NF-9, a new athlon 64 3500+, and a radeon 700x, but after installation, im getting no power, i checked over my front panel 100000 times and power still not working, then i tried my old board and it wont fire either. Im wondering if my Power Supply could be the problem, board fried?, 2700 not work on that board? or power button just not working.. i been working on this all day and i still cant get my computer to work. Ty for the help and hopefully in the future ill be able to help others on these boards.

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Yes, a ps could cause you a problem, however I would try for a post outside of the case. More likely you have a problem with mounting the board in the case.

Pull the board from the case and place it on the box it came in. Do not use the anti-static bag since the outside can conduct electricity. Install your video card, and ram. Make sure your hsf is connected to the correct fan header. Connect your monitor. Connect your ps.

Now use a small screwdriver to short across the power switch pins on the board. If it posts now, you have a mounting problem. Examine your mounting VERY carefully before installing. After you install the board, again post with just the same parts as you had outside the case. This validates your mounting. Now add hd, cd drives, etc.

If it does not post outside of the case, you will need to swap parts with known good units ie processor, mb, ps, and ram.

3. Conrad747

Conrad747

alot could happen when moving parts around but all i could think of are these:
    a. remove board from case and set on non-static surface.
    b. double check connections.
    c. double check cpu if seated properly, not by just looking but by removing and inspecting for bent or broken pins.
    d. reseat your ram/s.
    e. check if power supply has an off/on switch and see if it is set to on.
    f. double check your work, again.
    if still not firing short the pins where the off/on switch (on the motherboard) with a screw driver. GOOD LUCK.

4. rockinmale

rockinmale

Who's the maker of your psu and what's its maximum watts?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice