1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can powersupplies cause freezeups?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tvance.net, Jan 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tvance.net

tvance.net Thread Starter

Can a power supply cause intermittent freeze ups?
    heres the story:

I built a computer for a customer w/ a 250watt power supply. I had a cdrw, dvd rom, hard, 1.4 ghz, 200mb ram --too much I know...he had major problems with (what I thought was the board...) I took back the computer.

Rebuilt it with the same case & same hard drive ONLY and a new motherboard ((these motherboard I am using are Elements 867as ..I have never had any problems with this board before))--now system boots up great but after a few applications are open it locks up. A WIERD lock up though because the mouse will still move, Just no programs will open.

CAN THIS BE THE POWER SUPPLY? Ive wiped out the hard drive, so i know it is not that...can someone please help me!!!

tvance.

2. pauld63

pauld63

I personally do not think it is the power supply. I have all kinds of stuff connected to mine. If you just play around in DOS, does it freeze after awhile or do you have to open several programs? I don't think opening more programs would increase the drain on the power supply, maybe on the ram.

3. $teve

$teve

sounds more like overheating,you could try re-seating the heatsink/fan,leave the case open and well vented with it de-fragging.....something to make it labour for a while see what happens.

4. n2gun

n2gun

Also make sure the cpu fan is working and blowing down on the heatsink

5. tvance.net

Ok before I got changed the power supply, I tried running in safe mode, and could not get a lock up! Now I'm not thinking its a power issue anymore....what could I do or does anyone have any ideas????

Im going to clear CMOS, and I dont know much about AGP 4x or 2x .... Im running an NVidia Vanta LT 8mb card, and the board says its 4x compatible....the card i believe is a 2x, but that shouldnt matter should it or is there something I should do in the BIOS????

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

Sorry, but can someone help again!?

thannkx

tv

6. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi tvance.net, welcome to TSG.

Can you check your system resources to see where they are at once you get things running for a bit (and before it crashes)?

Also, maybe post a listing of your IRQs......start, run, then type msinfo32 and press ok...go to hardware, IRQs, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

Also maybe while you're at it, the software, startup, from the same area.

7. tvance.net

Thank you so much!!
    Please tell me what you are looking for in resources and where to get it, as far as system resources found from right clicking on the My Computer is never below 80%.

Here are the IRQs and Startups as you asked....

0 System timer
    1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
    2 Programmable interrupt controller
    3 Communications Port (COM2)
    4 Communications Port (COM1)
    5 Avance AC'97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller
    5 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    6 Standard Floppy Disk Controller
    7 Printer Port (LPT1)
    8 System CMOS/real time clock
    9 SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus
    10 NVIDIA Vanta/Vanta LT
    10 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controller
    11 Linksys LNE100TX Fast Ethernet Adapter
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    11 ACPI IRQ Holder for PCI IRQ Steering
    12 PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
    13 Numeric data processor
    14 Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    14 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller
    15 Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
    15 VIA Bus Master PCI IDE Controller

ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SoundMan Registry (Machine Run) SOUNDMAN.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mstask.exe

This is such a wierd problem because when it locks up, the mouse still works!?--Just nothing will open or close or anything?

thanks for your help! tv

8. ~Candy~

Hmm, first you don't appear to have a virus program running....I myself don't keep one running either, but it's really recommended that you should.......but I'm not the virus police :D

The only thing I would wonder if you can find some kind of pattern to the freezing......maybe when you use something USB at the same time you're online? Only reason being the NIC card and USB are sharing IRQs, which sometimes cause a conflict.

9. tvance.net

I can make it happen almost at will if I open Photoshop and Pagemaker and then mess around alittle. Usually takes about 3 minutes...then WHAMO! nuthin... :(

This customer has nothing he hooks up USB wise... I just changed the power supply out though, so I will let you know if that does anything!

and let me know if you can think of anything else!

DIOS LE BENDIGA!

tv

10. ~Candy~

Once you open those programs, before you 'mess around a little' -- can you take a peek by right clicking 'my computer' then go to properties, performance and tell us what your available resources are?

11. tvance.net

83% with these 2 open...

12. tvance.net

guess what!? I took the system apart, and bought a new motherboard and guess what I found!

The fan was turned the wrong way so that it did not sit over the lip of the socket correctly.... you guys think this was my problem the whole time? (but the mouse still moved on freezeups)

the blunderhead
    tv:( :( :(

13. supertech

supertech

sounds like you have some graphics interface problems is that gui is that right?????see if you can type in some key board commands and open some programs via the keyboard

14. Balzac

Balzac Guest

I just had a problem with my power supply and freeze ups. It was the last thing I would have suspected...The last think I checked. Smelled some burnt circuits....Took it out, replaced it, no problems.

Do a smell test :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66774

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice