1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can running your computer on high performance burn your Power Supply?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ferni36, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Two questions that i'd love if you could answer :

1) Will running my PC on High perfomance Power have a chance on burning my power supply easier?
    2) Will my bills be bigger if i was to run it in High performance?

Right now ive checked Speedfan and it says my CPU & Core are @ 62 - 65C Is that really bad? if so what can i do? Thanks alot!

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    To get some real answers, Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

3. Snagglegaster

Snagglegaster Banned

1. No. I High Performance settings just means that your computer isn't as energy efficient as it would be under other power settings. It won't hurt the power supply, but it will wake up more quickly after the system has been idle a while.

2. Yes, but buy no more than a couple of dollars a year max. You wouldn't really see any significant savings from any power saver settings unless you were running many PC's in a business environment, or needed to conserve battery life in a laptop.

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Where are the settings you are referring to? In BIOS setup? In some program? In a game accelerator?

5. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    ferni36, please post your system specs as requested. And where are you reading the Temps you refer to, Bios or a system monitoring program such as Speedfan?

6. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Sorry for the lack of information here's all that you hopefully need.

Operating System
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 940 | 47 °C [Idle] > 67 - 71°C [Load] [Playing Saints Row 3]

Deneb 45nm Technology

RAM
    8.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)

Motherboard
    ASRock K10N78D (CPUSocket) 42 °C [Idle]

Graphics
    HP 2009 ([email protected])
    ATI Radeon HD 5670 (XFX Pine Group | 34 °C [Idle]

Hard Drives
    977GB Western Digital WDC WD10EARS-00Y5B1 ATA Device (SATA) 27 °C

Optical Drives
    DTSOFT Virtual CdRom Device
    ATAPI iHAS124 Y ATA Device
    ATAPI iHDS118 5 ATA Device

Audio
    AMD High Definition Audio Device

Power Supply

580w G7 ATX PSU (Cost me £30)

Thinking of replacing my power supply because im worried. Should I?

Thanks for the answers

7. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

And the temperatures i get are from 3 Different programmes.

-Speedfan
    -HWMonitor
    -Speccy

All monitor the temperatures @ around

Core : 43C [Idle] > 71C [Load]
    CPU : 38C [Idle] > 64C [Load]

Ive ordered some artic silver compound should be here tommorow but im not too sure if i can pull out the CPU easily. Does anyone know? Thanks

8. jiml8

jiml8 Guest

Given that you paid 30 pounds for a 580 Watt supply, then I certainly think you should be worried. With power supplies, you get what you pay for.

I don't and have never understood the logic of putting a cheap supply on a system that costs many hundreds to build. The PS, after all, is the one single component upon which every other component in the system depends, and the PS is the one single component whose failure could cause the failure of every other component in the system.

Further, cheap supplies often are unable to meet the specifications they are supposed to meet and the specifications they advertise (including max output power) and are often the source of mysterious system malfunctions.

Buy a good quality supply and stop worrying about it.

9. ferni36

ferni36 Thread Starter

Thank you.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1028846

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice