1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can same IP play games together online?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Mark56, Apr 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Mark56

Mark56 Thread Starter

Hey, I browsed briefly through the other threads so if this was already answered forgive me :rolleyes:

Starcraft is my game of choice, and recently I have just got a new computer with wireless internet. However, for the last 3-4 years there has been an ongoing debate within my family on who is the better Starcraft player.

Today I was going to purchase another copy of Starcraft to install on my computer. There is a wireless network through my house. Before I made my purchase I wanted to check if I would be able to play with/agaisnt my brothers using two different computers hooked up to the same internet connection.

Thanks in advance.

2. AikidoNinja

AikidoNinja

You will be able to play over the network. When you go into multiplayer go in to the tcp/ip one I think(someone correct me if I am wrong) and you will be able to play as if you were hard wired together. Me and my brother play games against each other over our wireless all the time. Also, Starcraft doesn't require different cd keys if you are playing over a LAN so you should be able to just burn the copy you have and use the same cd key.

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    If you are not going online then you will be fine. If you are going to a game server, then it will cause problems. The reason is that you are going to have 2 or more computers using the same IP to contact the game server. Think of it as this:

3 people are talking at the same time to one person. That one person would not know who said what and what they need. Likewise when if the information coming back into the router, the router may not know what information goes to what computer.

Like I said, if you are playing together on a LAN (not internet) then you are fine.

Aikido - please do not suggest copying a game. That is against the forum rules as we do not support infringing copyright laws.

4. iLLegaL89

iLLegaL89

try using hamatchi

a virtual Lan, you can use the same cdkey

it has almost zero delay aswell so pretty much like linkin computers togeather

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/459601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice