1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can saved telephone messages be transferred and saved as audio files?

Discussion in 'Archive: Phones & Handheld Devices' started by wgreene, Jan 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

My sister has several saved telephone messages from our Mother which she would like to save as audio files. Before deleting them from her phone she would like, if possible, to transfer and save them to a computer or to some portable device. Is it possible to do this? Thank you.

2. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

On the radio about a year ago....there was a man who had saved messages from a deceased family member....the telephone company deleted them as they were old...he called them..the retrieved them from a backup and put them back so he could listen to them at will again....the moral..the phone company can handle the files for sure.
    Now for an individual....one could do it the old fashioned way by playing them{on speaker phone} and recording them with a mic...windows has software for mic recordings.
    You may want to check with your local laws to see if this has conflict with any privacy issues however

3. calvin-c

calvin-c Banned

The closest legal analogy I've found is to a letter where the contents are owned by the writer under copyright law but the physical letter is owned by the recipient because the writer gave it to him/her. So the recipient can sell the letter without permission, but not reprint it. Nor, presumably copy it except for backup. (Note that the recipient can reprint portions of the letter under the fair use provision of copyright law, but reprinting the letter as a whole document is forbidden.)

In this case I'd suspect the 'backup' provision would apply, provided it's technically feasible to do so. Distribution of the messages (say sending copies to other family members) would probably be illegal though. If there's any question though I'd check with your own lawyer. IANAL and don't know your local laws.

4. indigic

indigic

are you asking about messages saved on mobile phone.?? if so then it is pretty easy..:)
    Just connect your mobile to PC via cable or bluetooth and transfer all files to PC. Then you can play these files with any compatible player..

5. aka Brett

aka Brett Banned

Arent voicemail messages saved on the server?

6. indigic

indigic

Apologies for late reply!!

Voice messages are certainly saved on operator's servers. If the messages in question are voice mail messages then i guess they can be requested and received from the operator for a charge.

If somebody can throw a light on this it would be great.

7. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

That's the answer I was hoping for. I'll certainly try it. Thank you!

8. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Yes, her messages are saved on her mobile phone.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974168

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice