1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can scanned book pages be organize in a PDF file?

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by muckmail, Oct 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I can use a HP printer with document feeder to scan the front side of pages in an
    unbound book then I scan the back side of the pages for a second pdf file.
    One file will have the front side of scan pages in order. The second pdf has
    the back side of pages in reverse.

Now can I use software to combine files and sort the pages in proper?

Thank you,

2. AcidBurnz95

AcidBurnz95

Acrobat will let you combine the files. You may have to move the pages manually, as I havent seen a quick way to do it in Acrobat yet.

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I am not familiar with H-P All-in-one units but I have seen other sheet fed scanners that have a software option of full duplex scanning all of the front sides first and then all the backsides. The software then interleaves the scanned pages into a a single multi-page file with the correct page sequence. We have a Sharp copier scanner that can do this and create a multi-page tiff file. People that need PDF files then use a free program called PrimoPDF to convert the TIFF file to PDF.

You may want to check any software that came with the scanner that can do the same thing.

4. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

The hp that I am using is a HP 135 office jet. I don't think it has think it has that
    duplex feature but I am not sure?

5. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Many programs such as MS office have VBA. Maybe trying to save to MS office
    and use VBA to sort pages? Thats gettting into programming but is that a posability?
    Thank you,

6. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    By any chance do you mean an "HP Officejet d135" multifunction printer? The only references I can find to an HP 135 part number are for ink cartridges.

7. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Yes it is a d135. I bought it in a yard sale and it works fine. I want to use it to
    scan in my old school class notes and then throw my paper copies away.
    Thank you,

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I did find a PDF file for the d135 User Manual on the HP web site. It was not a whole lot of help though. The only information it seemed to have for scanning options was based on using the "HP Director" software that comes bundled with the unit. The User Manual said to use the software's built-in help system for more information.

There is an easier way to combine pages in MS-Office without getting into VBA programming. Some versions of MS-Office come with the option to install document scanning software that supports scanning all the fronts first and then all the backs. The software then collates the scanned fronts and backs in the correct order. I am using Office 2003 and installed the optional document imaging utilities along with Word, Excel, Outlook, etc. Not sure what other versions have it.

Scan a document
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HP030812501033.aspx

Not sure what other software supports scanning all the fronts, then all the backs and then collates them in order.

9. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I only have office 2002. If my d135 only scans one side would it be worth puchasing
    office 2003? How would that work with office 2003?

10. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I never used Office 2002. You might want to see if your version of Office came with Document scanning and imaging. It might have been on the installation CD but not part of a typical installation of Office.

11. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Ok, If I do a scan on the front side of the pages I would have a file with front pages.
    If I can on the back side I will have a file with back side images. How does 2003
    imaging handle it. If I had 2003 what would I have to do to properly order the pages.
    How does 2003 imaging handle this problem? I might be interested in getting 2003 if it
    would solve the problem. What is the name of the file to
    install the imaging software and I will check my 2002 disk?
    thank you,

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Expand the "Scan multiple pages into a single file" entry on the page in my earlier link.

13. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

I wonder if hp d135 has the capabliity?

14. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Would it hurt to try it and find out?

15. muckmail

muckmail Thread Starter

Is Document scanning and imaging on the programl 2003 cd?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice