1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can see my modem but not my router???

Discussion in 'Networking' started by ScruffyG, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ScruffyG

ScruffyG Thread Starter

Hi

I have a kcorp klg 575 router and a linksys modem adsl2mue. running windows xp home.

When I put 192.168.1.1 into my browser I get the modem but not the router, actually sometimes I do get the router and that's my problem I want to get it all the time. I have tried clearing the cache and deleting cookies but nothing seems to work, it seems to be more miss than hit. Even plugging into the router with a cable doesn't work. Although having said all that sometimes for some reason all of the above does work.

I have a desktop pc and there are often 2 laptops in the house plus my xbox which is wired to the router, I need to change some settings to get around the NAT but can't always access the router when I need.

any help greatly appreciated

thanks
    G

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Well, the modem should not get that address...

Have you tried taking out the modem so you can connect to the router?

3. ScruffyG

ScruffyG Thread Starter

Yes I have. The frustrating thing is that sometimes I can get to the router with everything wired up but most often I can't.

4. Memnoch322

Memnoch322

Well, how do you have the modem configured? with the PPPoE location on the modem or after it? or do you have it in bridge mode?

5. ScruffyG

ScruffyG Thread Starter

Good questions and ones I am not sure how to answer. I'm in the UK and hook up to BT adsl.
    I am ppoa and on the modem there is a bridge setting but I m on the ppoa.

Since posting I have managed to change the ip address of the modem so now I can access them both. I have had to manually assign ip addressess to the pc's that access the network.

I hope that has solved the problem but with it being intermittent its hard to know.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    The "modem" is a modem/router combo. So, in effect you have modem -> router1 -> router2.

Making sure their LAN addresses are different, as you have done, is one way to get that configuration to work, but no guarantee that it will always work.

Another way, mentioned by Memnoch322 is to put the modem/router into bridge mode. This bypasses the router part, but often means you need to configure the second router properly to connect to your ISP.

I think that the easiest/best way is JohnWill's method of configuring the second router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point (and, beside, I haven't had the opportunity to copy this for a couple weeks!).

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

7. ScruffyG

ScruffyG Thread Starter

Thanks for that. I think I kind of follow although I thought it was just a modem.
    specs below...
    # network address translation (NAT)
    # 1 x RJ11 WAN port for ADSL connections
    # 1 x 10/100Base-T auto MDI-MDIX RJ45 switched LAN port
    # 1 x USB LAN Port
    # Integrated DHCP server
    # VPN pass through for IPSec, PPTP and L2TP
    # Web-based configuration.

Is it the dhcp server and below, that will enable me to do as you suggested. Do I make the linksys modem the bridge or the kcorp router the bridge, there is a bridge setting on the modem but I can't seem to find one on the router and whne I tried bridge mode on the modem it didn't work.

thanks
    G

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    A few routers have a bridge mode, but that's not the same as the bridge mode on a modem/router combo.

By "bridge mode on the modem it didn't work" do you mean the bridge didn't work or you don't know how to configure whatever you need to connect to your ISP?

9. ScruffyG

ScruffyG Thread Starter

The latter is probably most accurate, although over the last few days everything seems much more stable so I might just sit on what I have got for the moment, if it it aint broke and all.

if I do need to reconfigure things I will for sure jump back on the boards.

Cheers
    G

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542022

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice