1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

can share files but cant share internet

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jorgera, Jun 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jorgera

jorgera Thread Starter

hi, i searched but couldt find nothing specific about the topic... I have to computers conected thru a crossover cable and i can share files and i see the other computer on the network, but the one that doesnt connect to the ISP directly wont have internet, it is dial up internet and i have the tcp/ip adresses to 192.168 ... or whatever it is that i cant remember right now that you are supposed to use, i couldnt get it so i ran the assistant and then it is supposed to have internet because i can see it connected to the isp from the laptop but then im not able to connnect to the internet and i dont remeber where but i found an option where http and https where disabled, so i enabled them and tried to surf and i couldnt first i tought that was the problem but it didnt work, anyone has any suggestions??
    thanks

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You need ICS setup on the computer that Dials the internet connection.

3. plejon

plejon

4. jorgera

jorgera Thread Starter

what is ics???
    i had a look at that page but ive already done everything that it says there i think...but thanks anyway

5. plejon

plejon

ics = internet connection sharing

Let's look at the situation you're in now.

1) You have the network form your internet provider. You connect to it using a dial-up modem. That modem will receive an IP address from the provider, this address will be different each time you log in so it is called a dynamic IP address.

2) You have your own private network using the cross-over cable. You have probably assigned fixed IP addresses from the range intended for home use: 192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 This is fine, and since both your pc's can access each other, I'm assuming this is configured correctly.

The third thing you need is a router. A router is basically a "traffic cop" which decides if a particular network package should be sent to your local network or to the internet. At the same time, when a package comes from the internet to you, it decides to which pc in your network it should go. You can either use a hardware router, a hardware switch (improved version of a router) or a software router. Some software routers are independant programs (eg winroute) and offer lots of options. Both Win98 and WinXP have a simple software router built in, which is called "internet connection sharing"

That setup should work. Please follow the intructions on the page I mentioned before and the following pages. If you're unsure about any of the instructions, post the question here. Or try to give some more details of your problem. What exactly isn't working, what have you tried already, ...

6. jorgera

jorgera Thread Starter

it must be the router, i dont have a hardware one and i dont want to buy one, i will download the software and see how it works, the problem is that im doing this not for me but for my girlfriend so i cant always be trying, ill let you know when i try that, thank you

7. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd cruise over to www.analogx.com and download their proxy server. It's much easier to get going than Microsoft's lame ICS, and it should accomplish what you are trying to do.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/142571

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice