1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone answer this for me?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by slimdog23, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. slimdog23

slimdog23 Thread Starter

How many ports should a router have if i want to hook up two computers to DSL? I also have this problem when im on the internet and I click links sometimes the links dont work the first time or it takes along time for them to load up. I usually have to keep clicking and clicking them then they will work. All replies would be appreciated.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Most routers come with four ports standard and one can be used as an uplink port if you want to add another hub or switch later. You sound like another click happy person like I have at the office. You only have to click once on Internet links.....watch the spinning globe and the progress bar if you have IE. It might just be your ISP's DNS server taking forever to resolve the name to an IP address. Also check your IP configuration for you network card to ensure there aren't any un-needed protocols installed. You should only need TCP/IP.

3. slimdog23

slimdog23 Thread Starter

You didnt quite answer my question, So I would need a 4-port router to hook up two computers to DSL, right?

4. Rockn

Rockn

I think i did. You would only need <font size = "6" color = "Blue">3</font> ports, but the smallest number of ports you can get is <font size = "6" color = "Red">4</font>

5. slimdog23

slimdog23 Thread Starter

thanx for the help.

Rockn---Most routers come with four ports standard and one can be used as an uplink port if you want to add another hub or switch later.

You Actually didn't answer the question you simply stated that most routers come with four ports. I just wanted to let you know.
    Thanks for the help though.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice