1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone help me, need to retrieve data on a HDD before I do a fresh install

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mc1csmo, Apr 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

I have two pc's and they are nearly identical. Mine just had major issues and I want to retrieve the data on the system before I try either a fresh install on that HDD, or perhaps get a new HDD and swap that instead of my current one.

I don't know if it's my HDD that failed, but after a major episode, and doing a repair, it keeps locking up on the checks and when bypassing that, it still locks up when I do get to log in. I tried to system restore, but apparently I don't have a restore point to do this, it just points to today!

So, I've read that I can put the HDD from pc #1 (which is having the issues) into pc #2, which is working just fine) and transfer pics, docs, fav places, etc, that I want to save.

I have no idea how this works. I've read about slaving and jumpers and such and this is all greek to me. I'm a reasonable beginner insofar as I know enough to really get myself in trouble, so I could REALLY use a detailed step by step description of what I should do. I'd also like to do some kind of diagnostic on the HDD from the pc that is exhibiting the problem to see if I do indeed need to get a new one.

Thanks for ANY help!

2. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

What types of drives are they?? IDE (big fat data cables with 40 pin connector) or SATA (skinny cables with small black adapters)? If they are SATA it will be very easy, just open the case and find an open SATA port on the motherboard (and you'll need power, just look at the other drive). You can 'Hot Plug' Sata drives which means you do not have to turn off the machine. then just go into 'My Computer' and look for it after Windows does its thing.
    If they are IDE however, TURN OFF THE MACHINE, then locate the drive on the big fat data cable and verify you have to places on the cable in which to attach these type drives. One should be free, the other should be on the current hard drive or the 'Master'. Look on the back of the drive where the big fat connector is, to the right there should be three or four sets of pins with a jumper on two of them. If your Drive has a guide on it as to which each is then verify it is set to master. Then do the same with the drive you want to add but set it to SLAVE by moving the jumper to the appropriate pins. Attach the data cable and mount it in the chassis. Close the system and turn it on. You should see Windows do its thing and find it. then just go into 'My Computer' and look for it. If you dont see it you might have to go into the BIOS and set it to 'Auto-Detect'. But try this first and we'll go from there.

3. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

These are the specs on both systems:

AMD Athlon 64 FX-62 Windsor 2.8GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADAFX62CSBOX
    ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD400LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
    SONY 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model DRU120C
    EVGA 640-P2-N821-AR GeForce 8800GTS 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP
    CORSAIR XMS2 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Desktop Memory Model CM2X1024-5400C4

What's a jumper?
    Data Cable?
    How do I mount it to the chassis?

:)

4. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

>>>>>SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD400LJ 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

This is your hard drive, it is a SATA!!! Your in luck.... take the one out and just pop it in the other one. Seriously its that easy, just look inside and you'll see....... Just look at the one installed and duplicate it.

5. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

Ok cool, but I'm not totally clear on your directions. See my last post for some items I'm not sure about. THX

6. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

Dont worry, if you do it wrong, it just wont work. You have to try really hard to actually damage it!!
    Just open up one of the systems and study it. Look at how the drive is mounted and how it is connected. With SATA just pull off the data cable and look at the connector. Now look at where you just took it off from. Both sides of the cable can go to either side. Now look at the power adapter thats coming from the power supply(Big silver box on top of the system where the cord attaches to from the back). The power and the data cables both have a kinda 'L' shape to them. You really cant put it on wrong.
    With SATA you dont need to worry about jumpers. The both have their own dedicated port coming from the motherboard. The reason that existed was for IDE (or parallel ATA) so that two drives could share the same data ribbon. But you had to specify a master and a slave usually for the BIOS to know which one has the Boot info.
    Trust me, if you open it up you'll see that its really not that difficult. But continue to ask questions untill you are clear.
    Most of us got our start in this same manner, then you upgrade your RAM, Video card.
    Next thing you know you'll be building your own machine!!!!

7. Hughv

Hughv

This device, or a similar one, makes this an easy task. Just connect via USB. No need to open the case.
    http://www.sataadapter.com/

8. nvrsummer2

nvrsummer2

Yeah those are cool tools. But this person already has everything they need to complete the task at hand.

9. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

THat looks REALLY convenient and I will likely order one for future needs to overcome one of the steps. I'll post with questions. I'm working on this the next few hours. After I backup data, I'm going to try a full install of xp on the old pc, but this time with an extra smaller drive to backup purposes (actually an older one from a previous pc build that I was planning to use as a home server, but never got around to (which I bet would have made this whole affair easier...sigh...).

I also want to see if I can do some kind of diagnostic on that drive before I do the rienstall. Any suggestions on what to do, to make sure the HDD isn't the issue here?

THX again all

10. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

FYI, I did a full virus scan on my pc and it was only 3rd party adserving cookies that came up, nothing serious, so I'm not so worried about infection now. Still, my pc is messed up. I can't do a windows update or navigate to a website at all, which is wierd b/c I can access my email, and get to my home page website. Any other navigating hangs. I tried windows update and it keeps failing to load the 3.1 installer, so it goes no further. I'm just going to do a clean install after I try to get the remaining data (nothing pressing as I got the most vital stuff already. This extra step for the rest is just a convenience, but if I can do it, all the better).

have a smaller drive that was connected to my previous rig, that I had been saving for using as a windows home server for the two pc's, xbox, etc (never got around to it, and now I regret it!). There's data on that drive, too. Barring any questions I might have for getting the data off the main drive on my pc (pc #1 is mine, pc#2 is my wife's, pc#3 is the old rig that I was going to use for the home server, for reference hence forth).

1) How to a check drive from pc #1 (the Samsung 400gb sata) so I can see if I need to replace it or not before I do a clean install? Ideally I'd like to do this prior to the setup below
    2) How do I setup a two HDD system, with wiring and all (are there any detailed step by step guides, video or with pics?)? I have the drive from pc #1 and I want to add the old drive from pc #2 as a backup.
    3) There's outdated data on drive from pc#3, do I need to wipe that clean, or will it be wiped clean when I do the fresh xp install. In this scenario, again, I plan to have two drives on my pc, the main one being that from pc#1, unless it needs to be replaced altogether. The backup drive (from pc#3) is going to mainly be for pics, work docs, etc, where drive #1 will be for the OS, games, other programs, but nothing perma that I can't just reinstall or that I won't care to lose if I need to do a full re-install again down the road (I hope not!!)

Thanks again!!!

11. mc1csmo

mc1csmo Thread Starter

UPDATE - Ok, I've swap'd the drive from PC1 into PC 2, and I've backed up all data I wanted to keep. Now I want to check that drive (from PC1) to see if it's viable or not, before I put it back and reinstall xp.

How do I go about that? THX

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/703095

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice