1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone Help me on ADSL??

Discussion in 'Networking' started by IT NUTS, Sep 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IT NUTS

IT NUTS Thread Starter

okie here i goes.

i have a laptop with a built in Intel Rate Wireless Lan Mini-PCI Adapter with Modem 2 and my home pc i have a Intel NIC card.

So here is the Problem currently i m using a ADSL INTERNAL modem connecting thru a telephone port. And i trying to get my Laptop to share the internet connection. Is the anyway to do it??

For what i noe is in the Market there is a router with a built in access point.
    do i only need that???

Both my OS is Windows 2000.

Pls advice.

2. 802.11g Monk

802.11g Monk

Get a wireless router.
    If your internal DSL modem doesn't have a CAT5 heading out, run that NIC as a proxy and run it to a router.

There are millions of ways to do this.
    Read: Google... "How to setup a proxy server"

Monk

3. IT NUTS

IT NUTS Thread Starter

Sorry my IT skill is still not up to Standard. what isst mean by CAT5 heading out??? okie my Internal modem is connected to the telephone port. which means from the modem to the telephone port is connected by a telephone line.

4. 802.11g Monk

802.11g Monk

In short, CAT5 is a network cable (it uses a larger jack and connects to network cards, hubs, switches, etc. etc.)

What it sounds like you need to do is setup a Proxy. What a proxy does is simple: it takes the IP address assigned by your DSL provider and acts as a DHCP client to assign other PCs on your network an individual IP address...

Think of it this way...Your DSL modem is assigned the IP 135.189.232.1
    You have only 1 IP address available to reach the internet. When you setup a proxy, you are creating a link between your modem and your Network Card.

This link is the DHCP client, it assigns an unique IP address to every PC plugged into your Network Card. Simply:

------>DSL MODEM ----///PROXY-DHCP CLIENT\\\\-->--NIC----->NETWORK

Windows comes with it's own proxy built in that should allow you to connect the 2...I will look for something in the meantime that may be easier...

Monk

5. 802.11g Monk

802.11g Monk

Internet Connection Sharing is a part of Win2k

Check this out, and let me know how it turns out
    Microsoft ICS Article

Also, take a look at WinGate... this is pretty decent tool that might do the trick... www.deerfield.com

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/268827

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice