1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone help me out?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by nomex, Feb 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nomex

nomex Thread Starter

Hello,

I am new to this forum, so hello to all. I am trying to connect my laptop (dell inspiron 8600 with Intel PRO/Wireless 2200 (802.11b/g) Internal Wireless) to my desktop. They both are win xp. I am using a netgear ma101. I cannot get my laptop to connect to the internet. I have disabled my firewalls on both pcs and still nothing. I keep getting a error on both pcs that say "windows could not finish repairing the problem becasue the following action cannot be completed:renewing IP adress" Then it also says the connection has limited or no connectivity. Can some one please help?

Joe

2. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

Shut down both Pc's, completely off. Now Unplug both the router and the modem if you have one. Wait 30 seconds and turn the modem on first and wait until the cable like is green and then plug in the router in and then the first PC you want to connect with. This should renew your IP.

If not then Directly use the modem without the router and follow the same steps, this should renew the IP and once this is done you will be able to go online. Then setup the router again.

You might want to go though the internet explorer/ connection options and to setup, to setup the internet connection wizard to tell how you connecting to the web. Shouldn't have to but it might help.

GL

3. nomex

nomex Thread Starter

ok so I got the laptop to say connected but it still ownt let me surf. it is sending pakets but not receiving any? I am so lost. and I have tried the rebooting and all that you mentioned. I have ran the cmd process to release and renew and i get the following message "the operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation." :confused:

4. *PostMaster*

*PostMaster*

You have followed the steps and completely shut down the Pc's? and then unpluged the router and modem for 30 or more seconds?

Let's check out the adapter to see if something isn't right in here...

Go ahead and right click on My Computer and then click on properties. From there on top click the hardward option and then click Device Manager and tell me if you have any yellow !'s or ?'s. Try the repeat what I said with the other computer starting first as well.

If everything looks good in the Device Manager - go into the control panel and click the Network Connections icon and see if it saids disabled and if so just right click and reinable it. I don't believe this to be the problem, I think it's the router.

Again Forget the router and shut down the PC and then the modem and hard wire the ethernet wire to one computer. Then plug the modem in and start the PC and it should renew the IP, Once it renews the IP then shut down the pc again and put the router back on and then turn both Pc's on.

Last If there is a reset but on the router, hold that in for more then 30 seconds so it can restore everything to it's default settings and you can start over.

Good luck let me know.

PM

5. nomex

nomex Thread Starter

Yes I have done all that. Here is what my desktop says "wireless network connection speed: 11.0mbps -signal strenght: excellent- status: limited or no connectivity. my alaptop says the all the same but on status:connected. I configured the ip manually to match my desktop and I think thats the only reason it says connected. But no internet

I have done all of the above aswell. oh and I have a 2wire dsl modem thru SBC.

Thanks again

6. degroat

degroat

nomex,

What I had to do to get my wireless working when I had SBC and the 2Wire was go into my wireless router and disable DHCP and then I had to have the cable going from the 2Wire to the wireless router going into an output intead of the input.

7. nomex

nomex Thread Starter

How do I disable DHCP?

8. degroat

degroat

You'd have to get into your router through a browser (usually 192.168.0.1 but you can find that on you manufacturer's website) and then poke around for the option to turn it off. From the way I understood it, since the 2Wire is actually a router in itself, the two devices were conflicting.

9. lonestarx

lonestarx

as well, make sure that the workgroup name you are using is the same on both machines.

10. l33

l33

hi Nomex, did you authenticate your Mac address in the router, some isp's ex: comcast require you to do this otherwise no connection is allowed. if not, get into the router, go to mac clone ( or use ipconfig /all at the command promp and jot down the Mac address of your nic card and simply enter it as it appears in the little boxes on the mac clone setup page. save settings and start surfing. hope this works bud, good luck:) ps. make sure you've got the right protocol enabled (ex pppoe) if this is needed.

11. probell

probell

The message, "The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for this operation" is a likely sign that your computer's network adapter is configured with a fixed IP address. It does not make sense to ask ipconfig to release or renew an IP address from a DHCP server if your network adapter has a fixed IP address.

12. Andy Tan

Andy Tan

try this "netsh winsock reset catalog" on the run command, this will reset the tcp/ip

the problem most cause by winxp sp2

13. chalky

chalky

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327960

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice