Can someone help me resolve my wifi problem?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Shadowgatez

Hey,

Ok here's the situation.
I recently bought a new laptop which is great and all and i also bought a new router.

It connected fine but sometimes I have limited connection. When that happens I have to go upstairs and plug out the power of the modem and router and plug it back in to restart it. This does fix the problem but it's annoying to go upstairs all the time fixing the problem.

It's either the new laptop or the new router's fault but i suspect it's my laptop as it the only laptop in the household using 802.11 (technology draft n) to connect to the wifi system. Also, it seems to happen each time my laptop sleeps. But since I bought the new router and laptop at the same time I have no idea.

Laptop: Dell Studio 1737 Vista Home Premium 64-bit- Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Router: D-link DIR-615 http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=565
The setting of the router is:

WPA Mode: Auto (WPA or WPA2)
Cipher Mode: AES
Group Key Interval: 3600

Can someone help?
Thank you in advance
DD

Welcome to TSG:
Let's do two basic things first.
Download and install any more current firmware for your router.

Change the wireless channel being used,1/6/11 in US.

TerryNet

Terry
Also important--make sure you have the latest wireless adapter driver. If it is an integrated adapter it should be from your PC manufacturer's web site. 64-bit drivers continue to be a weak link.

Is this problem only when the PC awakens from Sleep/Hibernate?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online