1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone help walk me through DNS.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mmbc_voltron, Nov 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mmbc_voltron

mmbc_voltron Thread Starter

I have tried multipule times to setup up a test 2k server. It seems to always fail when I am setting up DNS. So if someone can help walk me through each step that would be great. Right now I have re-loaded 2k server and just updated to SP4. Now I need to set a static IP. I am getting one from my linksys router right now of 103. Should I set the static to 192.168.1.5? Before I was using something like 208.201.235.2 and then setting the DHCP to 208.201.235.10-50.

after I get the Static IP asigned I have to setup DHCP. There is no special help there. it is all striaght forward.

This will just be the first step. once I have determined to use the routers ip range or not I will setup up DHCP and then after that I will need help again.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Where are you getting DHCP from, the router or the server. DNS is simple to set up and does not have to be a fully qualified domain name to do it. One thing you will need to do is to set your router up to forward DNS lookup requests to your internal DNS server or it will never work. Forward port 53 TCP and UDP to whatever address you assign as the DNS server address.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Typically I just set up the router do have the DNS IP addresses for your ISP and then either configured the individual computers with either those addresses or the IP address of the router. Then you don't need to complicate things with a DNS server (unless for some other reason you need one locally).

4. mmbc_voltron

So I setup DHCP on my 2k server. The address of my server is 208.201.225.2
    Now I will setup the router to forward port 53.
    So now I am ready for DCPROMO. My server name is SERVER. and I want to name my internal domain to BTB.com. I will keep you posted on the steps I do. Unless I need to setup and configure DNS before the DCPROMO. I just figured that it will do the configuring on it's own.

5. mmbc_voltron

I get this error after dcpromo.

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: NETLOGON
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5781
    Date: date
    Time: time
    User: N/A
    Computer: SERVER

Description:
    Dynamic registration or deregistration of one or more DNS records failed because no DNS servers are available.

I looked it up and found this:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=311354

I did want it says and restarted and still the same error happened.

6. Rockn

Rockn

Running a DNS server locally on a domain controller is required if you are running Active Directory, it will not install or set up AD without it. You HAVE to have DNS ans AD running correctly BEFORE trying to add or promote a server in an AD forest.

DNS running locally also speeds up name resolution.

Why exactly are you trying to run DCPROMO? Was this server once a standalone server and not a domain controller? Do you have the DNS service installed and set up? Have you sepcified an adapter address to be the designated DNS servers IP address? It seems like you are going about things backwards since in your initial post you stated that you were assigning and IP address to your server AFTER you ran the setup and installed SP4. You should get the basic server setup, including IP address, done first and functioning before applying any service packs or patches.

7. mmbc_voltron

So you recommend installing 2k and then setting up the IP address. Then what next?
    Service Pack 4 or DHCP or DNS.
    I set everything up in this order.
    install 2k,
    install SP4,
    configure IP :
    Ip 192.168.1.5
    192.168.1.1 gateway
    DNS setting

Install and configure DHCP
    Then I ran the wizard to configure your server. to add AD but it says it sets up DNS also.

If you can post back with any thoughts in where I went wrong that would be great. I think I will try the setup again and stop after I install 2k to wait for you post.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/293903

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice