1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone please assist me with a problem on Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Ajaay27, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

Does anyone know why this message comes on up a laptop? the desktop picture also disappeared? and the start button isn't doing anything when it is clicked on?

this file does not have an app associated with it for performing this action. please install an app or if one is already installed create an association in the default apps settings page

(Sorry if this is in the wrong thread).

40796544_2164252697181747_7623679113470935040_n.jpg

2. Lanctus

Lanctus

What are you doing right before this pops up? This kind of message typically happens when you are trying to open a file type (ex: PDF), but lack the means to see the contents.

3. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

It was the "my documents" folder shortcut

4. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
  5. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

Yes, it didn't work for me.

6. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    If you have Windows 10 disc try making a repair on your OS or you may need to make a fresh install of your OS.

7. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

would the reset this PC but keep all personal files be an option? I tried sfc /scannow but everything came back fine. So i'm a bit lost on what to try next. I'd like to try to not re install to OS as much as possible if I can get this fixed.

8. dmccoy

dmccoy

First Name:
    Darrin
  9. jenae

jenae

Hi, why not investigate what is trying to open, press the win + r keys together, in the run dialogue box, type:-

cmd (next press ctrl + shift+ enter) an elevated cmd prompt will open, copy the below cmd and then right click anywhere in the command prompt window, the cmd will append to the prompt , press enter.

dir /a /q /r /s "C:\Users\sophi\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\User Pinned" > "%temp%\01.txt" & start notepad "%temp%\01.txt"

Notepad will open, please copy paste the output here.

10. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

Thank you I will try those methods today.

I was given more information to what happened. The hard drive was taken out becuase the screen in the laptop was broken. The owner needed files from his laptop so the hard drive was extracted and plugged into another working pc via a sata to usb cable. The pc the hard drive from the laptop was connected to wasn't recognising the drive so the owner opened disk part on his pc and created a drive letter for his laptops harddrive in order for him to gain access to the drive through the pc. Since putting his laptop hard drive back into the laptop he has been left with this problem.

So far we know:

- When ever the file explorer shortcut on the task bar is clicked the error message above appears.
    - The start menu won't open.
    - The cortana search box doesn't work.
    - Firefox files seem to be missing.

Right clicking the start menu still brings up the list of options which do work.

11. Ajaay27

Ajaay27 Thread Starter

Some icon pictures on the desktop has also dissapeared, Microsoft edge being one of them.

12. texasbullet

texasbullet

First Name:
    Ramon
    Since the previous owner made too many changes and made it more complicated I would just suggest for you to make a fresh install of your OS and drivers. If you have important files to backup please do so before attempting to reinstall your OS.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!