1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can someone recommend a CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rockandstroll, Sep 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rockandstroll

rockandstroll Thread Starter

Hi, i'm looking to buy a new CPU but not sure which one would be best for my computer I currently have an AMD Anthlon(tm) XP 1800+ 1533 MHz. I use my computer for graphic and web design work mainly, so I use adobe packages quite alot, I also like to create music using programs such as cubase.

My mainboard is a SOLTEK 75FRV and OS is Windows XP service pack 3.

I hope that info helps, i'm pretty clueless on what would be the best CPU for my needs!

Thanks anyone!:)

2. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

From the MB and CPU specs, I would assume the PC is at least 5 years old?

It is possible to upgrade the CPU a bit, but finding Athlon XP CPUs is getting fairly difficult and expensive. Also, upgrading any other part in such an old system would be a waste of money since you won't be able to reuse it in a future system later on.

Your money would be better used if you saved a bit for a completely new PC with up to date parts. There are plenty of fairly decent PCs on the market these days for under $500 which would perform many times better.

3. brite750

brite750

give us a complete list of you computer hardware
    case
    power supply
    hardrive
    cdrom drives
    you might be able to reuse some of these things depending on what they are
    chances are you are looking at replacing most stuff, ie you PSU is probably not enough for a newer system, right now you can get a Athlon64x2 5000+ for $60
    MB with AM2 socket for $80
    2 gigs of ram for $40
    PCI express 16x gfx card for $50
    proper PSU for $60

4. brite750

brite750

also keep in mind Soltek seems to be out of business and it was a budget MB to begin with, so I'm not sure what Socket A cpuz it can support, there were a lot of them and not all MBz can support all socket A cpuz, and as mentioned finding soc A processors is getting hard

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754555

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice