can someone translate this poor support response?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Doom_Machine

more of a rant to vent than an expectation of an answer. but i sent creative support this email for some help...again, and i just dont get their response.

my last email to them.
unsatisfied with previous response, i ll clarify my problem precisely.
installed latest driver. whenever i reboot it works fine. its ONLY when
i SHUTDOWN the PC and then start it up, i recieve "No audio device
installed" however, if i reboot then it works fine, always does on
reboots but not after shuttingdown. seems very odd and i dont know whats
different between the 2 but after that shutdown its as if there is no
hardware installed at all. i have ALREADY read the entire knowledgbase
article about "no audio devices" and is not the problem. i have windows
audio service running. i have tried reinstalling the driver....many
times. i have tried reinstalling the OS and then installed driver with
nothing else and it still occurs after a shutdown. i must then reboot to
make it work....very annoying. i have also tried previous version
driver.i have moved card to another pci-e slot. i only have 2 that i can
use. a more technical answer or suggestion would be appreciated, please
dont respond with suggestions of things that i just mentioned i already
tried
and response from my [sarc] good buddy [\sarc] sin yee at support

Thank you for writing back to us.

I understand that you are still having the same issue. I apologize for
the inconvenience that has brought to you and I will try my best to
assist you.

To resolve this issue please ensure that the onboard audio is disabled.

I hope that the above information helps.

If you still require assistance, please reply to this email with any
previous correspondence to ensure the quickest and most accurate
service.

Best Regards,

Sin Yee
Technical Support
Creative Labs Americas
can someone translate that short vague message for me....or at least try to help me with the problem described in the first quote?

Do you have audio built into the machine and also an add-on sound card that you added?

Doom_Machine

my mobo has an audio chip which is disabled in the bios...i mentioned that to them in a previous support ticket....maybe thats what their response is reffering to but i guess i have to re-mention every tiny detail i've tried or he forgets?
the issue is getting very old and they respond with very short quick suggestions that i already know about and is why i keep trying to mention all that best i can so i can get a more technical answer....i think the real answer is they just dont know and i'm SOL.

the audio card i added is the X-FI fatality. ...before that i had the Barracuda AC-1 and before that i had the X-fi platinum. they both were fine. i've never seen this problem before and not a noob to sound cards. i've built many computers in my day with add on cards. i'm pretty frustrated atm as i've been back n forth for quite a while and tried several forums.

i'm sure its driver related but what i've been trying to find out in the forums is whats different between pressing Reboot and pressing Shutdown? cause i think the answer is in that.
i can reboot a hundred times and audio works fine. i hit shutdown once and next turn on i have no audio device until i reboot....odd

Is this a custom built or "mass produced" machine such as a Dell, Gateway, etc.?

Have you checked the board manufacturer or system builder site to see if there is a BIOS update that may address this problem?

What size power supply do you have? Do you know the power requirements of the new card? It sounds like the card itself may not be getting sufficient power and is not initializing as it should at power-on.

There is no difference between a reboot and a shutdown except for the the fact that the delay is very small, so the card probably never powers down completely and the power supply stays at optimal power.

Doom_Machine

self built machine.
900 watt tagan psw.
have latest bios update, its a gigabyte ep45

seems to have plenty of power for my gtx 280 video card, both my previous sound cards worked fine. one was an xfi platinum. if it was the power supply, i'd suspect i'd have the problem at reboot as well. i think its more likely the mobo and its pci-e x1 slots.

problem doesnt occure when using S1 sleep, but does in S3, also comming back on from S3 sleep, my mice and kb dont work.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online