1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Can surf the web but not play games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Masimo100, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

I recently purchased a new hard drive, installed windows 7 onto it and have been trying to play and connect to any other game server other than ones that are used by my browsers.
    I cannot connect to any game servers, LoL, Dota 2, WoW or steam servers, nothing appears to be working
    I have all my firewalls turned off and require assistance as I have little knowledge in this field
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3959 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7800 Series, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 476837 MB, Free - 389120 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., H55M-S2V
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Disabled

2. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Welcome to TSG! (y)

Sorry I have no idea at the moment, but I would like to caution you to leave your antivirus and firewall on, especially if your checking the internet.

Is this a pre-built system? Like Dell, ASUS, HP ect.
    If so you may need specific drivers.

I must admit it is weird you can get on the net but not connect to game servers.
    When you launch WoW, does the launcher connect? Like you can read the patch notes, news and see if your friends are online?

3. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

It's a pre built system an Intel core one I believe, I may be wrong, I kinda suck with this sort of stuff
    The hard drive is new however and is a Wd Blue 500gb Hdd.
    When I launch anything it lets me patch it and I can see my friends list but when I try to actually play the game it says error cannot connect to gameservers
    Albeit steam, steam seems to be able to connect 1/100 times that I try it

4. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Do you know the brand and model? (specific as possible)
    that way "we" can point you to the drivers offered by the manufacturer.

5. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

I think this is the right screen to use

Attached Files:

• 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      220.4 KB
      Views:
  6. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

uh, no. you will need to look at the case. brand name and there should be a service tag with model and maybe a build number.

Thinking about it, has this been going on for some time? They are connecting to patch and chat, so there could be a game server issue. Could be their problem not yours. Unless it's been several days.

Wondering if your router is seeing a new computer with the fresh install and not using any port forwarding that may have been set up.
    Honestly though, I never had to tweak anything to get WoW or Steam to work.

I am puzzled too. :D

7. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

It only started happening upon using my new harddrive, it worked perfectly and smoothly on my old one
    As for port forwarding I have tried to do that and no results seem to have come from that, however I am skeptical that I did it correctly, I could screenshot how I did my port forwarding if that helps?
    Below were the only labels and serial numbers on the computer itself

Attached Files:

8. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

Sorry if this is a pain -_-
    I'm just as lost

9. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

hmm, coolermaster case. seems its not a major brand. ( ?? ) looks like a custom build.
    No results for those numbers, would be tough without a manufacturer anyway.

How long have you been using the new drive and noticing this problem?
    It makes no sense that it will connect to the update servers but not the game servers.
    Might be a background process blocking or just getting in the way. maybe a ping issue.

I'll keep pondering this one, out of ideas right now.

10. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

As soon as I got it last Friday, first the driver for my ethernet cable was not installed so I had to download that and then my internet connection worked but I have only been able to use it to surf the web, any other programs refuse to connect to it
    And thank you, any assistance is appreciated

11. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

This is how I did my forward porting

Attached Files:

12. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

Update: Can't use bittorrent or any type of torrenting program, gets stuck on connecting to peers, dunno if that helps

13. Masimo100

Masimo100 Thread Starter

100% sure it's something to do with my computer not the router, when i connect my phone and use my 3g internet on my computer, I still run into the same issues

14. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

We aren't allowed to talk about or help with torrents of any kind, so lets forget about those not working.

I must apologize, I am terrible at explaining things, and I solve problems better hands on.

OK, with a custom build and needing a driver for... well I assume the network card. It may be possible you got the wrong one or are in need of another one. Not sure where you got it from.
    I guess you can open the control panel then go to device manager. see if there are any yellow ! on anything.

It would help a lot if we knew exactly what parts were in that machine, so we can find the right manufacturer drivers.
    Your motherboard has two versions listed... Rev. 1.3 and 1.4 I think that info can be found on the BIOS screen.
    Seems they both use the same driver version however, so you can try that.
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3568&dl=1&RWD=0#driver
    as long as that link works you would try the "Realtek LAN Driver". (I have no experience with the diagnostic tool so that is up to you if you want to try it.)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143514

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice